Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on Cellpro 4s vs. TP 425/205?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Recommendations on Cellpro 4s vs. TP 425/205?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
DaveInLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on Cellpro 4s vs. TP 425/205?

Hi guys, I'm new to lipos but I figure I'll start now. I did some reading, but I'm still undecided on whether the Cellpro 4s balancing charger or the Thunder Power combo of 425 charger and 205 balancer are more suited for my needs.

I'll be using them to charge a used (40 cycles or so) TP 3s 2100 as well as a new Polyquest 1200 3 cell lipo. I know there's an adapter on the Cellpro to charge TP and Polyquest batteries.

The cost between the 2 combos is similar, so that's not the issue. I know the Cellpro has a screen that provides information, but right now, I wouldn't even know what to make of that (I'm "challenged" in the electrical field). I've also read some posters here claim that the Cellpro "rejuvenated" their old batteries. On the other hand, the TP is so simple and proven. And I'm still not really sure that I'll even need the balancer for light duty...

What do you guys think?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Recommendations on Cellpro 4s vs. TP 425/205?

I own a Cellpro and it is extremely simple to use. You plug in the battery and the charger decides on the charge current and the amount of cells. I was charging a Polyquest that had unbalanced cells and when the charger reached 90% full, it went into balance mode and at the end of the charge, signalled by a buzzer, the cells were balanced. There is a button on the side of the charger and when you push it, it shows different modes of the charge. One mode shows the voltage of each cell. The instructions are really easy and you can download them from the FNA website. I also own an Astro 109. My cellpro has the adaptor for TP and Polyquest.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
DaveInLA

Thanks. What power supply do you use to charge your batteries at home? Or do you only charge on the field?

Besides buying the charger and the TP/PQ adapter, any other accessories I'll need to pick up? thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:46 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I use a battery powered car start pack I got a year or so ago at Costco. It's a 12 volt pack that I keep well-charged. I use this as I charge LiPoly's outside. Inside I use a Pyramid Regulated Power Supply, Model PS 12KX, usually for all other packs NiCd etc. I have used it for LiPoly's with an extension cord. To be honest, with this charger it may not be necessary to always charge outside.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I too use the CellPro 4S (have a couple actually) they rock... and have inverse polarity protection both ways... a wonderful, no-brainer charger. Have the adapters too for TP and PQ packs.

For home charging I use a regulated 12v 14amp power supply... A good source is here for only $40 plus shipping... lower cost than most and a nice PS... I can attach 2-3 chargers at once and run them all fine.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4071

Old 10-13-2006, 08:15 AM
83gt

Cellpro most definately. I have one and love it! The Cellpro will never charge above 3a, so a lower amp PSU will be acceptable. I notice in the PSU post above they have a 5A PSU for 24.99. Looks like it would work great with the Cellpro. Then for right around $100 you have an excellent solution.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It's a no brainer - CellPro all the way! They are coming out with more adapters in addition to the Thunder Power/Polyquest they now offer.