Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charger exploded

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 PM
mikeang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger exploded

Any of you guys experienced an explosion of the Dynam li-ion, li-po charger?

I have two the same of these chargers, the one i used it for about 10 charges but today when i connected it to the source it showed that the battery was full, and the battery was not connected with it.
So, i used the brand new charger, and after 20minutes it exploded.

The specifications of my chargers are:

li-polymer:7.4V-11.1V(2cells-3cells)
input: 10V-15V
Charge rate: 0.25A-0.65A

I was always using an AC/AC transformer with output of 12V, 800mA.

Could the problem be due to the transformer? Or bad chargers?

Any suggestion of a good lipo charger? My batteries are 230mah li-po 15C 2 Cells.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Charger exploded

Does the specs suggest you can use an AC source?? I am not sure, but I think the 10V-15V input is DC, not AC. That would explain your problem.

Don
Old 10-14-2006, 04:16 AM
mikeang

Don. The specs say that i can use any DC source. I have the idea that the output of my transformer (12V) is DC, or maybe i am wrong.

I showed my charger to an electronics shop and they said this transformer is suitable for it.

A friend gave me his 12V battery to test the other charger, again it shows that the battery is full.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: mikeang

I was always using an AC/AC transformer with output of 12V, 800mA.

I was going by the above statement of yours. It indicated that you were using an AC output. If it is AC, it isn't going to work. If it is DC, and you have the polarity correct it should be OK, but that doesn't explain why the second charger went up in smoke. AC input would.

If your battery is dead, but not open, it will give you the indication it is charged, but will not be. Can you measure the output of the charger? IE do you have a multi-meter? You may try your battery on a friend's charger, or try a different battery on your charger. You are going to have to do a little elimination to get to the bottom. Right now you have a tie, 1 vote that it's a bad battery and one vote that it's a bad charger. You need one more vote to get to the reall problem. Another battery or another charger would give you that vote.

Don
Old 10-15-2006, 05:27 AM
mikeang

You are right, i was using an AC output. I have send an email to a distributor of my chargers and they said that the AC source was the reason for the explosion. The charger will work with 12V DC.

I dont have a multi meter to check the output. I believe its a bad charger because no battery is connected with its output and it indicates that a battery is full.

I ordered a new charger and an adaptor which is confirmed by the distributor that is suitable for it.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Campgems

Mike glad to hear you got the mystery solved. Sorry about your charger though.

Don