Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can a LiPo be left connected to the ESC.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can a LiPo be left connected to the ESC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:54 PM
jscalet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a LiPo be left connected to the ESC.

I have always left my batteries unplugged from the ESC until I was ready to fly. I now have an aircraft where it is in convenient to connect at the flying site. Assuming that the ESC also powers the receiver and servos and that there is an on/off switch in the receiver to ESC circuit. What could I expect the current drain to be on the battery with it plugged into the ESC and the receiver off? The motor has a separate plug accessible from the cowing so the motor can be !QUOT!safed!QUOT!. Thanks for sharing any actual experiences, no theories please.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Can a LiPo be left connected to the ESC.

I wouldnt risk it. The drain wont be that much but what will happen is that one day you will forget that the lipo is plugged into the esc and you will discharge your pack below 3 volts per cell. Toasting a lipo is an expensive mistake.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 AM
wk0g

That has always been my concern also. I probably won't plug them in before I fly. I might add an external "Deans" connector and use a male plug as a jumper to make arming easier. I just hate to add any unnecessary weight.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

trust me you will forget one day to unplug it "ask me how i know lol" its best just to plug it in before you fly anyways lets say you had a faulty esc or switch if it be esc someone could be injured by your otherwise normal operating esc that had no reciever power but had power to blip the motor now and then.. its uncommon but i have seen it happen... faulty switch some speed controllers have no arming noise.. so you wouldnt really know then someone on you channel flips on .. and zap off goes your plane lol.. again uncommon but i have seen it happen

the worst part is how big of a dolt you feel like when you get up to ready your planes for the field and notice that that battery has been plugged in for.. a few days or a week..DOH!
there goes that 25-200$ battery lol its best just to unplug them

if you must leave them plugged in i suggest a high amp switch INLINE with the battery not relying on the esc/s switch that would be the only safe way because you would actually be cuttin all current to everything and not just disarming the esc and ditching power to the reciever
Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: wk0g

That has always been my concern also. I probably won't plug them in before I fly. I might add an external "Deans" connector and use a male plug as a jumper to make arming easier. I just hate to add any unnecessary weight.
That is a better option although keep in mind every time you have another solder joint, switch, etc. thats another place for a failure. Is there any possiblity in making the hatch removable in order to gain easy access to the batteries? I just recently did that on an glow to electric conversion. It takes a little work but its worth it.

I wouldnt worry about that extra weight of a deans connector. Only on the very smallest foamy would that even be notieable.