Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

4.8v vs. 6v receiver batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:39 AM
frisconick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8v vs. 6v receiver batteries

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out here. I just bought a JR9303 radio setup for my TF GS P-51. I ordered the 9303 with a 6v receiver battery. The charger that came with it (NEC222) puts out 5.8v @ 150mha on the receiver side. My other radio is a JR6102 with a 4.8v receiver battery, but it has the same charger at 5.8v on the receive side. What gives? I'm pretty sure batteries should be charged at a higher voltage than their operating voltage (not 100% sure though). What voltage should each system be charged at? Did they send me the wrong charger for the 6v system? When fully charged, what should the 4.8v system put out? What should the 6v system put out? What's the minimum safe flying voltage for each system?

The more I learn about this hobby, the more questions I have !!

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 AM
richrd

Default RE: 4.8v vs. 6v receiver batteries

Ratings on wal warts are far and few to give good answers it's best to use your meter on them to get close on average voltage but batteries charge in peak voltage for unregulated chargers. 4.8 is 4 cells typ. pk at 1.54V around 6.2V so 5 cell would be 7.7V to 8V pk.
It is possable that your 5.8V is RMS rated that would be 8.3V pk so if that is true then it's ok to use on them. Anyway try it and see , leave a volt meter on it and watch the volatge.
Second question is with a loaded meter about 200mA current draw then stop flying at 1.1V per cell. 4.4V and 5.5V respectfilly
Rich
Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
frisconick

Thanks for the info, Rich. The LHS is still trying to see if JR has a different charger for the 6v batts. The red charge LED on the wall wart comes on for a few minutes when the 6v batt is first plugged in, but soon goes extremely dim. I'll try the volt meter thing.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM
ggroyal1

I am using JR 6v nimh receiver battery packs in all of my planes, they go up to 4500mha's. The transmitter/receiver charger that comes with the JR radios will not charge 6 volt batteries. I use a Triton and Triton jr. for my receiver batteries. You can use any good quality charger with the adapter lead for the JR battery. I like the chargers that have LCD window that show voltage, current and time. If you are going to stay in the hobby, get the Triton, you will be glad you did later, I was.
George G. Royal
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 AM
frisconick

Thanks George,

I bought one of the Hobbico charges. Seems to work well.

Nick