Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New to Lipo's need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 PM
dansdeals3489

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lipo's need some advice

I have been out of RC for a couple of years and am getting back into it full force. I just purchased a Helimax MX400 Pro helicopter, and do not know too much about how to charge Lipo batteries. I have purchased a Accucycle Elite charger and will be running a Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 2100mAh 18C Discharge batttery. The questions I have are:
Do these need regular discharging everytime I recharge?
What is the discharge lead on the battery for?
How long should it take to charge?
Any other pertinent information you guys could give me would be great. I have been around Nicads and NIMH batteries, but these new lipos make me nervous (especially at $75.00 per battery!)
Thanks for the advice
Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Viper87

Default RE: New to Lipo's need some advice

DansDeals3489,

WELCOME BACK!

I have been flying for about 2 years now and am no expert but I think I can answer your questions.

LiPo's DO NOT need to be discharged. You should never get the packs below 3.3V per cell. The Accucycle Elite is a very good charger in my opinion. It takes my 2200mAH batts about 2 hours to charge from a "full" discharged state. Never charge the batts above 1C. The Elite will automatically choose the current I believe if you are not sure.

The extra lead you are refering to is not a discharge lead, but rather a balancing lead. This is connected to another device that balances each individual cell while charging. I have heard lots of people using the [link=http://www.astroflight.com/store/store-type-tem.html?item=products:af-106&sid=0001DjLwyqZEZiAuk0095G1]Astro Blinky[/link]. It is only $24.99 and is worth it to lengthen your batts life.

You should not be afraid of the LiPo's rather very cautions and aware. I have not had any problems with them but I am very careful when charging and checking temps during charging and flights.

Another tool you may look to get in the future is a Watt Meter. This has been one mf my best investments of the hobby. I have the Medusa Research [link=http://www.medusaproducts.com/Other/Power-Analyzers/pa-60100R.htm]Power Analyzer Pro[/link]. It is more expensive but has lots more feature than the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLMV0&P=7]Watts Up Meter[/link]. The latter meter is very functional and I think is most preferred. This will save you many batts, ESC's, and Motors.

Like I said I am no expert so any others feel free to step in if I have said anything you don't agree with. I hope this helps you get started!

Viper87
Old 10-17-2006, 02:42 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Thje discharge lead is the "use" lead.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
dansdeals3489

Thanks, guys I really appreciate the advice. Anymore would be great!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Viper87

Just ask more questions and more people will answer.

That is what is so great about these forums
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
saitofreak

Hi

Lipo's take around 1 hour to 1 hour 25min to charge at the typical 1C rating. Your charger may automatically set the current for you. Use a quality in-line balancer, or a balancing charger to maintain your battery packs. You can safely discharge lipo's to 3V per cell. Never exceed the continuous discharge C rating of your pack, so a power meter is recommended during setup. Hyperion make a very good power meter.
Don't ever dead-short lipo's, there is a very real risk of fire - keep those power terminals apart especially when soldering connectors to your battery or electric setup.
Don't ever over-charge lipo's - once again the fire risk. This is where your balancer protects against a charge fault.
If you crash your craft and suspect mechanical damage to the battery, then monitor the pack closely from that point onward.

That said, they are great batteries for our craft - just use them responsibly and enjoy.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
dansdeals3489

I bought the Electrifly battery with the Safe Circuit technology in it. I was looking at a balancer and it said you cannot use it on those batteries. Is that correct? Is the battery pack I bought not as good as the ones that can be balanced?