Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Is there a LiPo "reference" thread somewhere?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Is there a LiPo "reference" thread somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
temecularc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a LiPo "reference" thread somewhere?

I'm new to lipos, and have a lot of questions. I tried finding a single thread where I could learn all about lipos, but found everything pretty scattered. Can someone point me to a thread that may have all the information I "need to know" about lipos?

For example:
- I shouldn't let the voltage drop below 3v per cell, correct? Does this mean my ESC needs to cut off at 6v if I have a 2C pack?
- What amperage should they be charged at?
- I had no idea a balancer is highly recommended, nor did I even know what it did
- Should the balancer be plugged in during the charge?
- Do they need to be completely discharged before charging again?
- If they need to be stored for longer periods of time, should you leave some charge in them?
- What should the max voltage be, so I don't "overcharge" them?

I'm sure there are huge benefits to running lipos, and I'm excited to begin using them. At ~$90+ per pack, it's not cheap. I want to ensure I don't screw things up or do something that's dangerous.

Is there a collection of questions and answers surrounding the use of lipos?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Old 10-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Viper87

Default RE: Is there a LiPo "reference" thread somewhere?

Well I am surprised that no one has responded to this one Its a great question! I will take a stab at it.

I don't believe there is a dedicated thread on Lipo and care for them. You could try doing a search in the forums if you haven't already. Try the advanced search and it will allow for more customization.

--The safe cutoff voltage for a LiPo is 3.3V So yes if you have a 2Series pack which is 7.4V the save cutoff would be about 6V. Most ESC's have a basig programming function that will allow you to program the cutoff for a LiPo. I usually try and land/stop before the ESC cuts off. You should be able to tell it is time because there will be a significant loss in performance. Once stopped check the voltage of the battery and you can get a reference from there.

--When charging the battery I think the MAX recommended charge rate is 1C. That is if you have a 1500mAh battery pack you should not charger the pack higher than 1.5Ah. I usually charge mine around 1A as I have plenty of time usually to let them slow charge. This helps prolong the life of the battery by charging it a little slower.

--I guess I answered this in the last one. LiPo's should not be left at a low charge state. It is recommended that they be charged soon after use. I think I have heard that if they are being left for a long period of time to leaft about a 3/4 charge in them.

--The max voltage I am not sure about. When mine charge on my Accu cycle it gets them to about 12V. So I would say about a Volt or so higher than the nominal pack voltage. I hope someone else will confirm or correct me on this.

--The balancer is recommended and I didn't know about them at first either. Basically the balancer is connected to the balancing plug on your LiPo ( the plug with smaller multiple wires coming out) And it brings each cell to it max capacity/voltage one at a time. Thus ensuring that all of the cells match each other.
---These were recommended to you in an earlier post as good balancers (Hyperion LBA10 or e-Station PB-5)

--The packs should never be completely discharged during any use. This can severly damage the cells. LiPo's do not need to be cycled like NiCad's and NiMh's. By keeping the cells charged it keeps the battery in good shape. Always store the battery with a charge. Full is recommended but I can't say for sure what everyone else recommends.

One thing I can recommend if you don't already have one is a decent computer charger. I use both the Accu Cycle Elite and the Triton. I really like the Elite and don't use the Triton as much. It will ease so much of your worries because it will do much of the thinking for you.

I hope this helps. And if I am off on any of this information please someone correct me. I have learned many things from this forum but am still on the learning phase.

Good Luck

Viper87
Old 10-22-2006, 04:35 PM
temecularc

Default RE: Is there a LiPo "reference" thread somewhere?

Viper,
THanks for the response! I just charged my first lipo...noticed it charged up to ~8.7V. After I ran the car for about 30 mins, it slowed down and I checked the voltage. It read 6.5V. So, I think I did it right. I still have some learning to do, but appreciate the information you provided!

Much thanks,
Gary