Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Reconditioning large batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Reconditioning large batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
cmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconditioning large batteries?

This is not specifically for R/C, but might help me with my R/C stuff - is it possible to recondition NICD batteries such as the large ones found in a UPS (un-interruptible power supply)?

For example, my APC UPS is showing a red light on the battery, and this seems to happen occasionally to them over the years of intermittent use / recharge... I am thinking the battery needs to be reconditioned, and wondering if it is possible, and how I might go about it? For example I found various pages off google talking about reconditioning NICD's, and they generally say you drop each cell to below 1v with a constant load, then charge it up.

??
Old 10-18-2006, 02:22 PM
richrd

Default RE: Reconditioning large batteries?

Yes if not to bad or old. Form... or reform... If you have a charger , discharger that can handle these then discharge slowly first few times at C/10 current rate to 0.9V per cell. Then recharge at same C/10 current rate for 16 Hrs. After a few times then you can discharge faster up to C but capacity rating is tested at C/5 typically. If after 6 cycles and below 80% capacity of battery then a Ben Franklin fix. aka money yea it will take a week to do but this is best way to tune up NiXX
Rich
Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
cmate

Ok, I just realized its a lead acid sealed battery - is this still possible to recondition?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

No, once used up they are gone, plates inside give up, not the same as a nicad/nimh, however most are like your flight box battery (if its a smaller one so not to bad to replace, the bigger ones are kinda pricey and almost cheaper to replace the whole unit.
You could leave it plugged in with no load for 12hrs or so and see if it can catch up.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the plates are sulphated, it will be difficult to recondition it. Sulfation starts when specific gravity falls below 1.225 or voltage measures less than 12.4 (12v Battery) or 6.2 (6 volt battery). Sulfation hardens the battery plates reducing and eventually destroying the ability of the battery to generate Volts and Amps. I normally maintain and store my Pb-acid batteries above 12.7V for longer life. This is unlike NiCd or NiMH where storing at lower voltages lengthens the life.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:45 AM
cmate

I noticed the superbrain 989 says it can charge lead acid and gel cell's, 6-12v, might I be able to run several discharge, charge cycles with this to try to re-condition?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
marcellus

Won't work for reasons as explained above. I use two 7amp 12V packs as building weights. Work great at that. That's about all they are good for, because I left 'em lying around without a charge for a very long time....
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Limegrntaln

I have the same problem with my 12V starter box battery. I have a question, should I just stick 2x 7.2V stick packs together with a "Y" tamiya adapter? I can get 2 2400 packs equaling 14.4 volts which would also make the box a little touquier. I have a triton charger to charge it with. Im getting tired of coming back from overseas every few months and sinking $30 into a battery every time just to drive my buggy.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
zephar123

ORIGINAL: cmate

Ok, I just realized its a lead acid sealed battery - is this still possible to recondition?
Fo0r a lead acid batter they like high voltage. You need to do what is known as equalizing. Tons of website on the internet that will show you how to work on these ill see if I have any on my computer at home. Ive gotten alot of old batteries to work again with this method. Basically you want to get the battery boiling, but not overboiling and keep it at a high charge. What it does is it boils the sulphates off of the plates if theres acid still in the battery. If there is no acid and the batter has no water this of course will not work and the battery is dead. BEfore you do this ill find you the site as there are of course things you have to monitor. Not as closely as you would a nicad, but you dont want to melt the battery lol

OH and see some people above talking abtoui discharging. FULLY discharging a lead acid battery is really bad for the battery they are nto designed to ever be fully discharged.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Blackjack52

Try getting a Battery Minder.
http://www.batterymart.com/battery/VDC-12112.html

I use them when I store my autos for the winter. Just have to find the right one for the right voltage. Cheaper than replacing those batteries and can be used to get rid of sulphation.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a trick for fixing sulfated plates i lerned in auto tech school but have never used (usually if a bat tests bad we sell the coustmer a new one ) ill bust out my old class book tommorow and see if i can find it i will post here
Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 AM
richrd

Check this out
This week Harbor Freight has the battery maintainer on sale for 5.95 and it works. Puts a clean 12.8V output with current limit. 2a to 120A batteries as it says on the box.
Rich
Old 11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Limegrntaln

I got the 2 7.2V packs and when I put them both together Im still getting the same amount of torque from my box as I would with only one battery connected. I have it wired wrong but what is the right way to wire it?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 PM
zephar123

ORIGINAL: zephar123

ORIGINAL: cmate

Fo0r a lead acid batter they like high voltage. You need to do what is known as equalizing. Tons of website on the internet that will show you how to work on these ill see if I have any on my computer at home. Ive gotten alot of old batteries to work again with this method. Basically you want to get the battery boiling, but not overboiling and keep it at a high charge. What it does is it boils the sulphates off of the plates if theres acid still in the battery. If there is no acid and the batter has no water this of course will not work and the battery is dead. BEfore you do this ill find you the site as there are of course things you have to monitor. Not as closely as you would a nicad, but you dont want to melt the battery lol

OH and see some people above talking abtoui discharging. FULLY discharging a lead acid battery is really bad for the battery they are nto designed to ever be fully discharged.
grr the link not workign for the website ill look up the charger I use to use and can tell you bottom line is you want to get the battery aroudn 15 volts and hold it there for an hour, but cant rember what voltage is gettting to got on a acid battery ill try to find out.

ok foudn another link this shoudl answer all you need to know

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq9.htm