Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cell balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 AM
zach8202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell balancer question

Hi, ok so I just bought a 11.1v 1800mah lipoly. It has a 4-pin connector for a balancer. I am on a budget (college student) so I was just curious to see what you all would reccomend I get.....I've heard of the blinky balancer but I've seen pictures and its just a bunch of pins to connect to somehow. So basically, does anyone know of a low cost balancer that works with the 4pin connectors and I won't blow my arm off trying use? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
mikekomm
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Cell balancer question

Our Ultra-Balancer is simple to use with instructions that MAKE SENSE !!

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=184

Feel free to call Toll-Free (866-405-8811) or use the "LIve Help" feature on our website if you need additional information anytime.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
zach8202

Do you know if there is a downloadable manual for this? Also, I would assume, but to make sure, are there some kind of leds that let you know when each cell is balanced? Lastly, my lipo is a "3e model." The four pin connectors have wires as follows: red, black, red, black. Does the balancer your showing require the same configuration? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM
bnrusso

The balance port was originally designed to get at the internal connections that can be used to charge or discharge.

Not all manufacturers have standardized on the header used OR the configuration for the wiring.

Most balancers discharge the highest voltage cell. This allows you to charge multiple cells in series and get very close to optimal, maximum voltage for each cell.

Computer chargers can also charge each cell individually thru the balance port. It is like having a seperate charger for each cell.

The cheaper balance port charger monitors each cell and cuts off when the first cell reaches maximum voltage.

The idea of using a balance port discharger/tester and a serial charger at the same time sounds as good as independent cell computer charging.

I currently use a 12V auto bulb connected across a digital volt meter to monitor then manually discharge the higher cells down to the lowest reading (above 3.1V) via the balance port. This is truely a poor man's way but balancing is not required for each charge/discharge cycle.