Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Sirrius Quad or New Hughes Charger?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Sirrius Quad or New Hughes Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
nsmjim
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirrius Quad or New Hughes Charger?

I just sold my Alpha 4 charger and was considering the new Hughes charger. However, I've always had good service from my Sirrius Limited Edition charger. I have four battery packs in most of my planes with four and five cell packs. I like the plug and forget it features of both. Does anyone have any experience with the Sirrius quad charger?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sirrius Quad or New Hughes Charger?

Very good charger but I don't think it will charge 2 packs that share a common ground. Hughes use to offer 1 similar to the quad charger don't know why they stopped producing it. They seemed to have dropped everything except new charger.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
kadet
My Feedback: (5)

Hughes RC discontinued manufacturing our previous product line because the manufacturer of one of the IC's we used, discontinued production of that IC. Since we were faced with a re-design anyway, we decided to design one unit that would do all of the things that our other products would do, and add more features. We found that we could do this, and offer the SPECTRA 4 to modelers for less than it would cost them to buy the 4 separate products we previously offered, and the SPECTRA 4 does more, in one single unit, while maintaining the high quality, and ease of use that made our other products so popular.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

boy! Im tempted to go for the Hughes, just for the fact that it can be used to break in new packs using the constant charge function.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I've got one of the new Hughes chargers in my store and I'm useing it a lot. Still have their older ones in my trailer for field use. Never had any problems with their products. Dennis
Old 11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
nsmjim
My Feedback: (52)

Sorry guys. The "alpha 4" I was referring to is the discontinued Hughes charger. It has been an excellent product as has the Sirrius charger. Since few people have tried the new Hughes (and I know they make a great product!), I was wondering if anybody has any feedback on the Sirrius Quad?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 AM
DadsToysBG

I've not seen the Sirrus, but have had the Hughs in the shop for a week. It's too simple and you can taylor each port to any battery you have. Dennis
Old 11-15-2006, 09:58 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

I have had and used the Sirius Quad charger for two sesaons and I love it.
No problems of any kind
Just plug and go play with the kids mother

I am watching you
Larry S
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
DadsToysBG

The more I get to use the Hugh's charger the more I like it. The instruction book has already disapperred and all I have to do is answer the questions as I set up a battery. Dennis
Old 11-16-2006, 11:58 PM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Sirius Quad, the only way to go. Plug it in and walk away. No instructions needed. Mine is more than two years old and has never had any problem. I had a Hughes charger at one time, the unit that charged 4 packs at a time. It went back for a malfunctioning transmitter port 3 times. I was told everything under the sun was a potential problem except the charger. After it came back the third time with the all ok from Hughes it fried my $75 JR 10X transmitter pack the next day. It went bye bye after that.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 AM
DadsToysBG

I know many say this but I've had the Hughs charger since they first came out and use JR and never had the problems stated in the above post. Would be interesting to here what Hughes found when he repaired the item. Dennis
Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
edgeman55

I also have had the Hughes charger for years now and it has never given me a problem.I use it to charge my 7 year old 10X JR trans.I only use NiMH batterys but love the plug it in and let the charger do the rest.I feel the Hughes equipment is built like a tank and would recomend it to anyone looking for a charger.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:11 PM
3D Joy

Can the sirius work with common grounds??

I just got one used but did not go get it so can't try it myself...
Old 11-18-2006, 12:04 AM
RCP57

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Can the sirius work with common grounds??

I just got one used but did not go get it so can't try it myself...
Yes.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:31 AM
RCP57

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I know many say this but I've had the Hughs charger since they first came out and use JR and never had the problems stated in the above post. Would be interesting to here what Hughes found when he repaired the item. Dennis
Dennis,

They were always very polite on the phone. The first two times they found nothing wrong with the charger or my leads. The third time back they stated that one of my charge leads had a bad solder connection and that I need to be more careful when making leads. I did not have the heart to tell them that all the leads I sent in were manufactured by Hughes and that they did not find that problem the first two times.

Let me be a little more specific about the problem. The three ports that charged receiver packs worked fine even though I felt that my NiMH packs were getting a little too warm but it was not excessive. The transmitter port would charge the battery and go into maintenance mode. Then for some unknown reason the charger would start the entire process of charging all over again only on the transmitter port. The charger would never sense that the transmitter battery was already fully charged and proceeded to overheat the battery. The first time this happened I thought it was a fluke but after catching it several times doing the same exact thing I returned the unit for repair. It took about two weeks after it was returned the first time and then the unit did the same exact thing again, overheating the battery trying to run the charge cycle again. When I sent it back for the second time for the same exact problem I was again assured that the charger was not the problem. When it came back the third time for the same exact problem I was give a host of BS excuses. First they blamed the charger lead, then the electricity in my house must be surging and restarting the charger , then the house socket must be bad, the power supply must be bad (two different units), and finally the battery pack must be bad. You name it, they blamed it. I also tried running the charger off a 12v car battery and the same problem occurred. The best part was that while the Hughes charger was at their facility I had no problems charging the same batteries with two different chargers from another manufacturer. For me if it has the Hughes name on it, you can keep it, period.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:35 AM
DadsToysBG

I'm sorry you had all that trouble. I've had the same thing happen to me in that when I sent something back it would always work right for them and not for me ie: YS. But for the other posts you are one of few that had a problem with their products, if it had been me I would have sent you a new one. PS I never got a new YS either. Dennis
Old 11-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I am always reluctant to comment on a dis-satisfied customer. However, when he continues to accuse incessantly, a response is indicated. Of course, we regret Mike's unsatisfactory experience.

Mike's problem was assuredly caused by a faulty lead or a diode in his transmitter or battery cartridge in the 10X. I am told some 10X transmitters have diodes in the circuit and some don't. I encouraged Mike to consult Horizon to find out about his model. I got no response.

Each time Mike reported his problem, we ask him to send the charger and ALL of his leads he uses regardless of manufacturer. Each time Mike sent only the charger. We didn't tell him we found a bad solder connection in the lead, because we never saw it. The charger tested perfect, every time. We tried to make it fail and could not.

This is my recollection of our transactions with Mike, and I mean no disrespect to him, it has been a while, and things can be dis-remembered especially if one feels he has been wronged. Or, perhaps I was unable to communicate clearly to Mike that we needed those leads, and he needed to check with Horizon concerning his 10X.

The repair rate on our TX/RX line is so very low it enables to remember individuals. The vast majority of the very few repairs has been due mis-use.

Randy Hughes
Engineering
Hughes RC
Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 AM
RCP57

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

I am always reluctant to comment on a dis-satisfied customer. However, when he continues to accuse incessantly, a response is indicated. Of course, we regret Mike's unsatisfactory experience.

Mike's problem was assuredly caused by a faulty lead or a diode in his transmitter or battery cartridge in the 10X. I am told some 10X transmitters have diodes in the circuit and some don't. I encouraged Mike to consult Horizon to find out about his model. I got no response.

Each time Mike reported his problem, we ask him to send the charger and ALL of his leads he uses regardless of manufacturer. Each time Mike sent only the charger. We didn't tell him we found a bad solder connection in the lead, because we never saw it. The charger tested perfect, every time. We tried to make it fail and could not.

This is my recollection of our transactions with Mike, and I mean no disrespect to him, it has been a while, and things can be dis-remembered especially if one feels he has been wronged. Or, perhaps I was unable to communicate clearly to Mike that we needed those leads, and he needed to check with Horizon concerning his 10X.

The repair rate on our TX/RX line is so very low it enables to remember individuals. The vast majority of the very few repairs has been due mis-use.

Randy Hughes
Engineering
Hughes RC
Randy,

You are correct, you don't remember. First you never ask me to contact Horizon about anything. That statement is just false. You charged me for repairing a lead that I purchased directly from you on 6/20/03 along with the charger. The third repair which I paid for with a personal check #1976 on 5/04/05 was a charge for repairing the lead which you stated had a "COLD" solder joint. It was your work and you did not even know it. The charge was very little but I still paid the fee for something that should have been covered under the warranty. It is funny that a problematic 10X battery pack only had a problem when charged with your charger. That pack had never been a problem when charged with other chargers, nor has it been a problem since. I am still using the same 10X case and electronics with new batteries ever since original 8 cells were overheated and leaked. There was more crap oozing out that pack from being overheated then I could have imagined. I never saw that happen to any other battery. Plus you never could explain how my other chargers charged the same pack without problem. Since I am refreshing your memory, when the unit was there for the third time I asked that it be replaced and even offered to pay a reasonable fee but you refused. Lastly I don't feel I was wronged, I just purchased the wrong product and paid the price.

I will leave any future threads alone, just pass by them. BTW, still flying giant scale?