Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NEWBIE HERE! Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE HERE! Battery Question

Getting into this hobby and I have my first trainer on the way. I have a field box with a 12 volt sealed battery, I know the reciever and the transmitters come with battery packs as well...duh.

How often should i fully discharge them so they dont retain any memory stuff? Is there a easy way to discharge a battery? Somoene told me to hook a light bulb from a car up to it but then i read somewhere that you should discharge at the rate at which the plane normally discharges the batteries. Well, how much is that?! And how do I know?

Thanks, this forum seems to be full of knowledgeable people and im gonna be here all afternoon surfing.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEWBIE HERE! Battery Question

There is really not a need to worry about the memory in the packs or discharging them to restore them or anything like that. Really the only need to discharge your batteries is to check capacity. Every now and then I will discharge my packs to make sure they are still performing close to theier capacity rating (mah). Generally when packs get below 80% of capacity its time to change them.

Its seems that with batteries, more so than any other part of the hobby, there is a lot of misninformation out there. I would start with http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/ This site is a good primer on just about all you will need to know on RC batteries.

Be careful of some of those battery myths!