Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Litco Systems Alpha 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
buc-le bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Litco Systems Alpha 4

I sent my e mail order for an Alpha 4 at 9:00:15 EST
Atomic Clock Time.
Order was not accepted.What did I do wrong?
Bill M
Old 02-10-2003, 06:53 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Not everyne that sends in an order is going to get on the list. If he only has 100 units available in the next run and gets 400 orders, 300 will be turned down.

Greg
Old 02-10-2003, 08:23 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default Re: ALPH 4

Yes, I got your e-mail. I haven't replied yet. I apologize.

I use a mix of battery types. However, I have been thinking of settling on a couple standard batteries, and using only those. What I currently have now is a mix of NiCd and NiMh. Most of my smaller planes have standard NiCd packs in the 700 to 1700mah range. My larger planes are all NiMh with 2700mah dual packs for the receiver/servos, and 2150mah for the ignition. Most of my charging is all on the Alpha 4, and in overnight mode.

Typically, I use the I and C devices for both NiCd's and NiMh packs. Since I don't need the batteries charged till the morning, I use those devices because its easy on the batteries. If I am in more of a rush, I use the A device for the NiCd's. I've never needed to fast charge the NiMH packs yet, but if I did, i'd use the Super Nova I have at a 2 or 4 hour rate, which would have them fully charged in about 1 to 3 hours (assumed a 30% or so charge remaining in the packs when put on charge.)

Again, I rarely if ever fast charge anything with the exception of some of my smaller glow airplanes with single NiCd packs, my Ni-Starters, or my on-board batteries for night flying. Its not because I have anything against it, its just because I size my packs such that I can fly uninterrupted without having to fast charge at the field. I just don't what to have to stop flying, because I need to charge something. Lazy I guess

Two airplanes at the field, fully charged, will outlast me! Then, at C/10 overnight rates, they are ready to go again, uninterrupted, by about 4am. In essence, I can't keep up with them even if I flew hard all day long
Old 02-10-2003, 08:29 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by buc-le bill
I sent my e mail order for an Alpha 4 at 9:00:15 EST
Atomic Clock Time.
Order was not accepted.What did I do wrong?
Bill M
You might not have done anything wrong at all. I don't know if they pick the e-mails to accept at random, or pick those in order. It could just be the luck of the draw. Your e-mail could have hit a clogged up server along the way and delayed. Or maybe they didn't like the way you signed your name. Who really knows.

If you send it right around 9:00am, put Alpha4 in the subject header, and included your full name, address, and phone number, you did everything right. After that, if I can steal a line from the movie Shakespeare in Love, "Its a mystery".
Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 PM
SPB2POPS
My Feedback: (1)

Stephen

NO hurry on the Email..I just wanted to make sure that it got to you.

Since you have 2 Alpha's you can do 2 planes and be fine.

My main question is regarding NIMH batts, and it sounds like you are charging large packs, ok.

I'm starting to think about how to 'put' together the charging leads for the UCII.

Can't get to the DR's website today either..

Thanks

Stephen B.

AMA 22299
Old 02-10-2003, 10:32 PM
sfaust

Yes, I can do both planes, my transmitter, and a smaller glow airplane for night flying, etc, with the two Alphas. But as mentioned before, I ordered a UCII to evaluate it as a replacement for one of the Alphas. It would give me another 4 extra ports, and I would still have one Alpha for the more advanced functions over the UCII when needed. The cost difference isn't much at all based on what a used Alpha 4 goes for on e-bay.

I should have the UCII in a couple weeks, and within a month or two, I should know if I want to keep the UCII or the extra Alpha.

I'll get to your e-mail later tonight
Old 02-11-2003, 02:25 AM
bralex

Default Charger Roulette

Stephen,

Thanks ever so much for all your help and time on answering my many questions. I have decided to buy a Orbit charger which with my Super Nova and a timed slow charger should take care of business in a safe and fairly efficient way. If I'm crazy about the Orbit, maybe I'll get another. If you'll be at the WRAM show Saturday, I'd enjoy meeting you. Thanks again and Best Regards!

Bruce
Old 02-11-2003, 04:12 AM
sfaust

No problem, and glad I could help some. You found something that works for you, and your needs, and thats what you were after. If the orbit doesn't work, there is e-bay, and more units to try later

I won't be at the WRAM show. I'll be flying turbines in sunny Florida. Being a born and bred California boy, I've had enough of these New England 20deg days for a while! I chipped the motor home out of the ice, and warmed up the inside. Time for a quick break.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:37 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Default ultimate charger

Hey Steve,

Did you ever get the UCII? What do you think of it? I have an Alpha that I got from Ray, mine won't ship until August and I have an Accucycle Plus. I am trying to decide what to put in the trailer for charging. I don't know if I should get another Alpha or the UCII.

John
Old 03-30-2003, 10:09 PM
sfaust

Yes, I got the charger, and it works great. Perfect for the trailer, while using the Alpha for management functions. However, when I ordered mine, the owner stated that he wasn't going to make any new ones. But I also heard that he did make one more batch because of demand. I don't know if he has any left from that batch or not.

I'll would write up a quick review on it, but it seems pointless if they are no longer available.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66847_14088.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	31951  
Old 03-31-2003, 05:16 AM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the UC 2 a peak detection charger?

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 06:33 AM
sfaust

No. And thats its biggest downfall. If it was a peak detect charger, it would blow the doors off the Alpha in many ways. its basically a timed charger. However, since NiCd's are fine if you feed it a 16 hour charge at C/10 even if full, the UCII is a plug and forget for 8 ports. However, it is an overnight charge. Using it in this mode, means you can just pre-program the charger for the batteries you use, then just plug in the airplane when you put it in the trailer and forget about it till dawn. It will then be ready to go the next day. Nothing to program, setup, or mess with. Very convenient.

Or, you can estimate the amount of charge that the battery would need, and program the charger to deliver that by adjusting the current it provides from C/10, C/7.5, or C/5 rates, and/or adjusting the mah settings. So if you don't mind programming each time you hook something up, you can give the batteries only the charge they need at rates above C/10.

I just use C/10 since I want to just plug in the charger lead, and forget about it. Worse case, the batteries get overcharged for a few hours, but at C/10 its a non-issue. And the turnaround time needed is always from the end of the flying day, to the beginning of the next. Plenty of time for C/10 to fully charge the batteries since they are never drawn down more than 75%.

It also does some checking when you plug in the battery, as well as when you unplug it. You will get a series of beeps to let you know all is good, or you need to check the pack. You can also just look at the display for the same info.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Default RE: Litco Systems Alpha 4

Just curious... Anybody buying an Alpha 4, or did anyone buy one in 2007?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Litco has apparently gone the way of the Wooly Mammoth
Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

they missed the boat just putting out a few of those per time i did have one and it treated me well then i moved to fromco yeah baby!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Boeing727

does anybody know, for sure , whether Litco still exists or not ? His web page is still there, but portions are inactive suggesting that the
operation is officially "history".
It's a shame that he doesn't offer manufacturing rights to SOMEBODY --- it simply repesents the best charger around.

Meanwhile -- is he retired or what ?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

There is really nothing that unique about the Alpha 4, other than its maker, Peter Figielski's, concepts of marketing.[]
Anyone with an understanding of batteries and circuit design knowledge should be able to replicate it and bring it up to today's needs for LiPo and A123 packs. The issue is, could they do it for a cost that would allow a reasonable profit in a rather small and price sensitive market.

Judging that there are no vital signs one would surmise that Alpha 4, for all practical purposes, is now Tango Uniform.

Too bad really, a classic that should have lived on for a long time (with upgrades).
Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

While the Alpha 4 may be history, those looking for a four port charger that addresses all our battery chemistries should take a look at the Hughes Spectra http://www.hughesrc.com/. It appears to be everything the Alpha 4 should have been.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

While the Alpha 4 may be history, those looking for a four port charger that addresses all our battery chemistries should take a look at the Hughes Spectra http://www.hughesrc.com/. It appears to be everything the Alpha 4 should have been.
I have two of their previous generation that I use on Nicads and wouldn't trade them for anything. I much prefer them to the Minron that I also keep in constant service.
My next one will be the latest that Hughes offers. I know that there are other devices that are less money but I do put some stock in the "buy right buy once" philosophy.