Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Pb charging with Triton

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pb charging with Triton

I was charging my 5Ah Pb field battery today with the Triton and had set the charge current to 600mA. As soon as the voltage reached about 13.8 I noticed that the current begin to drop from 600mA to 400mA. When voltage was about 14.2 current dropped further to 100mA.

I believe this is normal but wanted to double check with you guys to make sure my new Triton is working within specs.

Red--- Would you recommend when cycling a better to use the "cycle" function on the Triton, which has a set cutoff of 0.8V/cell, or would you recommend just discharging it by manually setting the cutoff voltage to 0.9V/cell or 1V/cell?

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pb charging with Triton

Originally posted by DrV
I was charging my 5Ah Pb field battery today with the Triton and had set the charge current to 600mA. As soon as the voltage reached about 13.8 I noticed that the current begin to drop from 600mA to 400mA. When voltage was about 14.2 current dropped further to 100mA.

I believe this is normal but wanted to double check with you guys to make sure my new Triton is working within specs.

Red--- Would you recommend when cycling a better to use the "cycle" function on the Triton, which has a set cutoff of 0.8V/cell, or would you recommend just discharging it by manually setting the cutoff voltage to 0.9V/cell or 1V/cell?

Thanks

Mike
What you are seeing in the Pb charge is normal.

The formula for minimum discharge voltage level is V= (N-1) X 1.2 volts. For packs with large cell count I would recommend you set the cut off voltage using this formula. Up to 8 cells it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you use. Manufacturers rate the cells to a 0.9 volt cut off.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:34 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Duhhhh

Having a senior moment! Please define the "N"_bob
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: Duhhhh