Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

battery connector question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM
stovey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery connector question

Hi there,

I have a team losi mlst from ebay that came without a charger. As you can see the battery and car connectors are a different type to the team losi charger. It seems new batteries from losi come with the smaller type connectors for this charger.
As my car and 6 batteries have the larger shape (ultra plug I think it's called?) connector can I adapt this connector to fit my losi charger or buy a charger for this connector?

Thanks for your help, I tried searching for the info but don't know what either connector types are called. I've allways had tamyias and their set up.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: battery connector question

stovey:

Yes bud, that is a Deans "Ultra plug". The stock plug connections appears to be a JST connection. Get rid of the JST connection, it is good for about 6 amps and almost anything is going to pull over 6 amps. The Deans plug is good for around 30 amps, maby more. The plug is typically your week link in a electrical setup, operates like a choke in a shotgun, limits your draw and performance. And yes, the Deans plug is hard to pull apart. Keep them clean and add a little oil on the male. You will get the hang of getting them apart. They are also easy to make up with a decent soder iron, use a 40 watt iron if you have a choice. Pre tin the wire and the plug, they should not be a problem to soder once you get the hang of them. You can make a holding fixture out of clothes pins by glueing two in line on a adequate pice of wood base to help simplify the process. The Deans plugs are high quality, and priced accordingly. Bite the bullet and buy a pack of male and female, always female on the battery so things can not short easy. Don't spin your wheels to find something as good and cheaper, there is none yet that I am aware of. From what I can see in your pic, the red wire is your correct possitive connector, keep the sidways orientated connector positive on all systems. Hope this helps. ENJOY
Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
stovey

Thanks for the reply, so the only way is to change the connector on the losi charger?

I can't just buy a charger with a deans ultra plug connector on it?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:52 PM
hands without shadows

The best thing to do would be to switch the charger connector, if you are uncomfortable doing that you should make or buy an adaptor, any hobby store should have one or the plugs for one.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
stovey

Thanks guys, I've found a tamyia to deans adaptor that looks like it'll work fine for me.