Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

charging multiple lipos

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:27 PM
jongscx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging multiple lipos

hokay, I have 3 cheap hover-boat-things (1 S/L and 2 XPV) and they all have 7.4V lipo batts (the S/L is stock, so it's like 640mah and the xpv ones are 740 mah) now, I want to be able to charge all three over-night (aka: while I'm sleeping and not doing anything) so I was wondering if there was a way to charge multiple lipo batts with a single charger and have it do them all at the same time...

I was thinking of making a time-delay switcher with the stock S/L charger and some Radio-hut parts, but that was going to be my last resort...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 PM
mrasmm

Default RE: charging multiple lipos

yeah you could do that... it might be a bit dangerous though. What you would need to do is get some male balance ends (3 total) and a female balance end to plug into the charger. Wire them all up in parallel and then charge as normal. All the packs would have to be the exact same size, and have close to the same number of cycles on all of them (which might not be the case with what you were telling me).

http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.p...&show_all=true

what balance end do you have?

cuz this one is not too much money
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESKY-BALANCE-CHA...QQcmdZViewItem

it might charge a bit fast though for your packs (800mA)
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 AM
richrd

LiPOs charge great in parallel, BUT always a but!,, Must use balancer on each battery and charge 1C at lowest cell so you do not overcharge the one that hogs all the current. Also if your charger can change to output volts better to stop at 4.1V per cell that push the 100% 4.2V per cell. BTW use LiPO sock or battery bunker to be safe. Low cost balancer look at Blinky.
Rich
Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
jongscx

HUH? Lipos are a bit new to me (and I guess everyone else too..) so lemme see if I get what you're saying right...

If they are going to be used together/in parallel, it should be fine to charge them as such. They're 2-celled for a total of 7.4V 800mah each.
If I put them in series, 14.8V 800mah and parallel 7.4V 1600mah... right?

I have a on the battery so...
1) can I buy the esky that you recommend to charge it without having to buy anything else?
2) do i need to buy yet another adapter to charge it with that?

I've heard to quick-charging lipoly that can do an 800mah in 20minutes... is that BS or just really expensive?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM
mrasmm

yeah, you've got it =)

lemme see if I can post a pic for you as far as the other part... you are going to want to take the two ends and combine them together to make one end. The first pic is the pic of how a 2s lipo looks. Take that example and apply it to the second drawing which is a 2s2p setup

lol, oh wait... I am confused. Wrong post.

What you are going to do is make a Y, but actually not a Y, something with 4 legs total. 3 batteries will hook to 3 of the connectors and the charger will hook to the other connector.

You will need 3 of these
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=275

and one like the picture you sent me, or this
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=91

Hook all the like colors together from all the ends with solder, and insulate them so they cannot touch each other. Then just plug the one end into the charger, and each one of the batteries into the other charger.

Understand that there are alot of risks with this... shorting, improper charge rates, unattended charging (ie while you are sleeping), and whatever else can cause explosion and/or fire. Just all the regular stuff. This is how you build the end, but all I am saying is that I am not taking responsibility for anything that could or does end up happening.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more q's

hopefully csrc wont mind me posting these pics off of their site, because I am including their name in the picture =) If you folks at csrc would like me to take it down, just let me know and I'll get it done =)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17658.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	670486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89013.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	670487