Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Duralites, vs. Powerflite batteries??

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Duralites, vs. Powerflite batteries??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 04:58 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralites, vs. Powerflite batteries??

Ok, My duralites are reaching the end of their useful life, Instead of trying to find more Duralites, The new brand of Powerflite Li-I batteries, have been brought to my attention. What are the advantages, if any, If I make the switch to powerflite?

I hear some duralites are dying because they're reaching the end of their 6 year shelf life, Is this true? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Duralite is finally supposed to be coming out with some new packs called Duralite Plus. Not sure what they are...some think they will be li-ion...but they are supposed to be much user friendly.

FYI...the Duralite cells are like 13 years old..
Old 02-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Ed Smith

I would suggest you stick with Ni-Cads until all of the "Bigger and Better" batteries have sorted themselves out. The Duralite experience was an expensive lesson!

Ed S
Old 02-25-2002, 09:59 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ed Smith
I would suggest you stick with Ni-Cads until all of the "Bigger and Better" batteries have sorted themselves out. The Duralite experience was an expensive lesson!

Ed S

I agree, I learned the hard way as well. Anyone want to buy my chargers and testers?? Not much good to me without cells
Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default Duralite ESV

Chad, if you do have a Duralite ESV, the digital one, I would be interested in buying it.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:35 PM
can773

Default Re: Duralite ESV

Originally posted by echapkis
Chad, if you do have a Duralite ESV, the digital one, I would be interested in buying it.
I have the one with the LED's at the top, 1 amp load. If that is the one you are referring to make me an offer, probably best offline

[email protected]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:12 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default esv

Sorry, I was referring to the digital readout version.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Default Hmmm.....

So Could this be why my Duralites and chargers are not selling?
Do I just have a pile of junk I paid good money for sitting here?

Thanks...
Old 02-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Ed Smith

Coulter-Dean Asked,
[B]
>>So Could this be why my Duralites and chargers are not selling?
Do I just have a pile of junk I paid good money for sitting here?
Old 03-02-2002, 06:48 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Just what Duralites are available from Coulter-Dean.
perhaps I could buy some ?
Old 03-10-2002, 04:54 PM
JPrc

Default Powerflite

The jet guys have been using these packs so I decided to give them a try since Duralites were no longer an option. I bought some of these for my AW 300L. I have 2-2000mah and 1-1200mah packs. The 1200mah, 1800mah, and 2000mah packs are all the same size and weight (3.5oz). I have not had them very long so I can not say how they hold up. I do check them religiously. Powerflite states that these packs will fully charge in 2-3 hours. From the little experience I have with these packs, it has never taken more than an hour. Just plug them into the Powerflite charger and when the light turns green they are fully charged. You don't have to worry about over charging and ruining your packs because it automatically turns off. You can get them directly from Powerflite but they are very hard to contact on the phone. Don's hobby shop has started stocking all of the Powerflite items. If I do have any problems I will be sure to post them here on RCUniverse. If anyone has any questions, I have all of the info and price cataloge and I may be able to answer some question
Old 03-25-2002, 04:56 PM
lilly

I loved Duralites until this past weekend! Went flying both days. Everything fine! Came home, put up planes and placed my 10X on the shelf as always. Attached charger and light came on as usual. This morning when going into my garage I smelled and awful smell of burned something! I went to my workbench and looked at the planes and they were fine. Duralite charger lights for plane were out. Then I looked at the black burned hole that use to be my 10x!!!!! Holy Smokes! It looked like Chernoble! Luckily it didn't set the bench on fire and burn down the whole garage. Don't know why. Total loss on transmitter. Burned, or blew through, the LCD screen. Duralite battery gone! Just a pile of melted crap left. I've had these for about 2 years. Ni-Cads rule! Keep the fancy stuff!
Old 03-25-2002, 05:27 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Holy Cow! That 10X would have been a sight to see! I had the same problem with one of my Duralites, I plugged it in and even 20 minutes later, the pack was almosted melted! I caught it in time, but any longer and I'd have had the same problem as you! I hope you were able to get Horizon, or Duralite people to replace, or at least fix it? Good Luck
Old 03-26-2002, 12:25 AM
zero244

Default Im afraid I dont understand.

Im very sorry for the guy who smoked his transmitter.
With all the fancy computer fast chargers for charging Nimh and Nicads what is the reasoning for going to the Duralites. You have to buy special chargers and testing equiptment........the batteries themself are very expensive..............are the pro's of these type of batteries worth all of this. And now its hard to even buy them.

Nicads and Nimh's work pretty well and we know what to expect from them.

Just Wondering.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:55 AM
Traxxas_Tech

I use them as the onboard battery sytem for your plane. They weigh half as much as nicads or nimh batteries, pack twice as much Mah in the same size pack, and on larger packs, you get in pack power redundancy. They were REAL good batteries, but now I hear about people losing their planes because of the Duralite dying. They say its due to the batteries being old, they only have a 6 year shelf life, and the show no warning of when they will fail. Since the Factories have not manufactured any more batteries, They are almost dissapearing, with "Powerflight" Lithium Ions taking over.

I also hear that the manufacturer (Tadiran), will not make any more, but will not even give the design/manufacturing instructions to anyone else. Go figure.... Looks like Powerflights are the next big thing, They show promising results, and not only in the R/C area.

It all comes down to getting them for more power in a smaller package, and for their Light weight.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:34 AM
ftomteen4cat

The powerflites looked intriguing until I saw the prices for the MVM's.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Yes, I would have to sell my house to afford the MVMs, but you really only use them in Giant scale planes with an ignition battery, and two rx batts. I can see getting them for fine tuning your system, but getting the small packs and using them like nicads, or the duralites work Very well in smaller planes without ignitions, (or with igition for that matter...). the separate batteries will be lighter I think..... I think the MVM is great for the adjustablity aspect....
Old 03-26-2002, 02:09 PM
can773

At anywhere from $80 CND-$110 CND per battery and a weight savings of zero over the Nicads I run now??? Seems like a good deal to me
Old 03-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Traxxas_Tech

oh, But they are lighter, Much lighter! And quite smaller! And they are more powerful- they are 6 volts instead of 4.8!
Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 PM
can773

Originally posted by Coulter_Dean
oh, But they are lighter, Much lighter! And quite smaller! And they are more powerful- they are 6 volts instead of 4.8!
Their 7.2V 1200 mah weights 3.5 oz, the nicads I am using now weigh 3.5 oz. I can get 7 flights on that nicad, I only fly 4 on it. My servos are too fast on 6V so I would regulate anyways. My Nicad costs me $25 CND, a Poweflite would cost me $80. I can power 3 airplanes for the cost of one powerflite.

I was on the Duralite bandwagon and got booted off, its going to take a long time to convince me to jump onto another wagon like that one
Old 03-26-2002, 11:57 PM
JPrc

Default Powerflite

Actually, the powerflite 1200mah cost $39.95. The 1800mah cost $79.95 and the 2000mah $89.95. Pretty high, but find a 2000mah pack that weighs 3.5oz. Also these packs fully charge in 2 hours with the powerflite charge if the are run down to the minimum voltage.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:25 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Duralites

I cured my Duralite problem with the Sirius Pro Plus, nimh and nicads....couldn't be happier and I have the same advantages as I did with the expensive and short lived Duralites.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:31 AM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

What nicads are you running can773?
Old 03-27-2002, 02:07 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Yes, What nicads are you running, Your scale must be off, I've never seen nicads that light, 600 mah maybe, but NOT 6 volt packs! I beg to differ with your theory...
Old 03-27-2002, 02:34 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Default Re: Powerflite

Originally posted by Spindoc
Actually, the powerflite 1200mah cost $39.95. The 1800mah cost $79.95 and the 2000mah $89.95.
Hey, Where can I find Powerflights for that price? Especially the 1200 for $39.95? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.