Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging multiple receiver packs simultaneously

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging multiple receiver packs simultaneously

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging multiple receiver packs simultaneously

Guys, I read somewhere recently that if you have two battery packs plugged into the same receiver, you cannot charge the packs simultaneously. Something about the receiver creating a common ground, I think - but not sure. I'm making new packs now, and I'm assuming I need to have a pair of leads for each battery, one lead for the switch and the other lead for charging, thereby bypassing the switch in order to charge the battery. This makes sense to me, but if I'm going about it the wrong way, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Charging multiple receiver packs simultaneously

ORIGINAL: AIRPLANENUTS

Guys, I read somewhere recently that if you have two battery packs plugged into the same receiver, you cannot charge the packs simultaneously. Something about the receiver creating a common ground, I think - but not sure. I'm making new packs now, and I'm assuming I need to have a pair of leads for each battery, one lead for the switch and the other lead for charging, thereby bypassing the switch in order to charge the battery. This makes sense to me, but if I'm going about it the wrong way, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rick
If the packs have their own switches and charge jacks you can charge both at once with some chargers, there are others that do not have a common ground where it won't work.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:50 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thank you, Mr. Scholefield. I'll make two leads for each battery, just in case Mr. Murphy decides to visit.[sm=regular_smile.gif]
Old 08-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

There is a schematic at the Battery Clinic web site www.rcbatteryclinic.com that may be of some help here. Look for Parallel Operation article.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:10 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks, Mr. Scholefield. Will do.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Montague

You can also sometimes find (or you can make) a switch that also switches the ground as well as the hot lead. Most switches just do the hot lead, leaving a common ground, which is what messes with the charger.

I personally just unplug one RX battery from the RX when I charge my dual battery setup. In that plane, I can easily get to the connection between the battery and the switch, so it's easy for me to unplug. It might not be so easy for others.