Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

E-flite battery issues, did I fry them?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

E-flite battery issues, did I fry them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
cexshun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite battery issues, did I fry them?

I'm a little paranoid that I fried something. I've began charging my stock cx2 batteries on a new Accucycle Elite. I lost track of battery as I was training my little brother who came over to check out the bird. The battery drained until we were only getting 3 inches of lift. I used my volt meter, and it said there was 7.4v left in the pack. I thought I was pretty safe as that is well over the 6v danger zone for a 2 cell pack.

Slapped it on the charger, 90 minutes later, it finishes. Says it put 799 MAH into a 800MAH pack. How the heck can it put that much MAH into a pack that still has 7.4v. So, in the interest of science, I intentionally ran my second battery in my CX2 until it would not sustain hover. Volt meter read 7.6v and the accucycle confirmed. I set it to charge and watched it. First, here are my settings:

lipo
7.4v (2 cell)
800MAH
.8A charge rate

The charger put a decent 400MAH or so into the pack in 45 minutes. At this point, the battery was reading 8.4v. I was surprised as it took my stock charger 1.5 hours to complete. But no, the charge was not finished. At this point, it slowly dropped the charge rate over the next 45 minutes. The voltage never went above 8.4v, but the charger dumped another 350MAH into the battery. I find this strange. Isn't it done after 8.4v?

Both batteried ran fine. Charged them again, this time making sure to not run them into the ground. Still strange how the CX2 would not hover, although voltage read 7.6v. And stranger that the charger would pump 750+ MAH into them, half of that after it hits max voltage.

So, after 2 or 3 more charges with the charger putting 600MAH or so into them, something is wrong. I'm getting very short run times on the CX2 with both batteries. <5 minutes, the CX2 cannot sustain hover. I slap the pack, supposedly totally drained, onto the charger and it reads 7.8v. In less then an hour, the charger dumps 300-350MAH into them and says it's done. *** is going on here?

Did I fry something? Something wrong with the bird, charger, batteries?

Added:
both batteries just came off the charger after a <5 minute flight with no sustainable hover. 350 MAH in 50 minutes and 300MAH in 41 minutes. On 800MAH packs.

Note, all above experiences have been done in an ammo box.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
cexshun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite battery issues, did I fry them?

Update:
Just ran one of the batteries through the CX2. Initial takeoff required 75% throttle. After 2 minutes, 90% throttle was required to maintain hover. Unflyable at 6 minutes.

Volt meter reads depleted battery at 7.65v and charged at 8.35v. Individual cells differ by only .001v in both cases.