Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How long can a battery set between charges?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How long can a battery set between charges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:19 PM
twort
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can a battery set between charges?

I was wondering how long a Nacd RX 4.8 500 mah battery can sit between charges and still be used with out needing a charge? If I full charge lets say on Thursday and take the plane with me out of town and want to fly it Sat. or Sunday would it be okay? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Tim
Old 05-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

It would be fine. If you don't want to lose any voltage from your Nicad pack charge it 1 hour a day every day till you go flying. That will keep your pack fully charged.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:28 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Basically all batteries start to discharge the instant they are pulled off the charger. Battery chemistry, battery condition, temperature, etc will determine how rapidly batteries discharge. I pretty much agree with Shortman, with a decent NiCd, three days off the charger I'd guess the battery should still have about 90% capacity or so. However, I'd like to point out that you should always check your batteries with a loaded tester before EVERY flight to determine if it is safe to fly... even if you just peak charged the battery ten minutes ago, check it. It only takes a few seconds to check batteries and it should always be a part of the preflight before each and every flight.

Cheers