Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Custom batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
clamber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom batteries?

Where can I create quality custom batteries?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Where can I order a good NiMH with Deans connector?

www.cheapbatterypacks.com I believe is the site name. It's advertised on RCU. They will build with whatever cells, size, voltage, connector, etc... you want for cheap.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM
clamber

Default RE: Custom batteries?

Cool thanks.

Hod do I know what wire to choose? I get everything else but the wire choices confuse me.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Barber420

I would think that if you buy at least 14ga. you'll be golden. 16ga will probably work fine too, but the heavier the wire the easier(cooler)it will pass the current. I don't know what size or voltage battery you want, but if it were me and I was running 7.2 or 8.4v 14ga should be more than enough. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
clamber

I am building a battery pack that will work in my Losi Desert Truck with my Sidewinder ESC.

I chose the Elite 5000 cells in a 6 cell 7.2v pack.

They have a thing that lets you pic your truck and it has an 18 awg wire as the default. So should I do that or get the 14?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Barber420

I'm by no means an expert on wiring for RC cars. I do, however, have loads of experience wiring switches in cars(the kind that make it hop), stereos, and just general wiring knowledge. I personally would use no smaller than 16awg. I have all 14 and 16awg on my trucks(excluding servos etc...) and have no problems. I don't believe the price difference is very great so I would go with at least 16 if not 14. Just so you know also, their is no such thing as having to large a gauge of wire in any application. The larger the wire the better the current flow and cooler the wire will stay. That's not to say that it would be wise to put 8awg or something in, because that would just be extreme overkill and you would be spending money you otherwise don't need to spend. Hope this helps. I'm sure if I missed something someone else will chime in.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
clamber

Wait, so the bigger the AWG the smaller the wire?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Barber420

Yes, it's kind of like gearing in that it seems backwards. 10awg is significantly larger than 14awg and so on... The lower the number the thicker the wire, when I use 2 and 4 gauge on stuff it is about the size of a quarter!!!