Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hyperion help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Cashman90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion help

I just got into the hobby and bought a Hyperion Eos AC?DC charger. I am finding when discharging NiMH batteries I can only discharge at 1 amp? The manual for this charger sucks in my opinion, but again I don't know what I am doing. My next question is I charged my brother's 3800 MAH packs at 3.8 amps and it took an hour, can I bump up the juice for a faster charge and at what cost to the batterey. Last question, do Lipo's need discharged?

Thanks in advance for any help...........
Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Mamba Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hyperion help

Cashman,

Am I correct in thinking you bought the EOS AC/DC 0606 charger? If so I have that very same charger. The manual for the charger??? You mean the flowchart? LOL... No not much of a manual is it??? When you purchase a $150 charger, the company assumes you know what you are doing I guess?

I can understand your ignorance-when I got mine I bet I knew less than you did when you got yours!!! [:@]I WAS SUCH AN IDIOT I WAS TOTALLY LOST!!![:@] Seriously. I had done the research, but had not put it into practice yet. did a lot of question asking, calling around, and forum reading to learn. I know its a pain in the ass. Technical things often are. (I was like "whats discharge")

I find this charger to be VERY easy to use, forgiving, unassuming (compared to a thunder power 610C), and smart (I once told it to charge a 3S as a 2S and it told me that the voltage was inappropriate and to check the battery - it was right!!!). The parameters of this charger clearly state: "DISCHARGE RATE .1-1A" If you really want to be sucking juice out of bigger batteries (3000mah+) you should get a discharge tray (can be hard pretty cheap).

1A discharge rate is pretty standard amoung chargers in the size range that our charger falls (4-9A). If you wanted a higher discharge rate you could have gotten an ICE charger, but then you would need to carry an additional power supply (15A+) and a balancer. I consider this the best AC/DC balance charger, dollar for dollar in its pricerange ($140-160)

Keep in mind a lot of NiMh manufacturers suggest discharging at greater and 1A even when first cycling the battery... This means that this is not the ideal charger to break in that sweet venom 4000 for your vxl or whatever, but it can do the job (if you don't mind waiting a day while it does its thing)

As for charging your brothers packs at 3.8A... Who said charge at 3.8A? I have NiMh batteries from several manufacturers and on my batteries it generally says "charge at 4-5A" or charge at <4A or something like that. How HOT did the battery get? If it did not get that hot, you can up the amps. If it is getting pretty warm, leave it at the rate it is set at. NiMh *MUST* become a little warm to reach full charge, even with the best charger. It is a function of how they store energy. The manufacturer for your batteries should have suggested charge rates for the batteries. Find out what that is and then try and charge it at their lower charge rate if it is a rage (eg, if 4-5A, charge at 4A first). I am assuming you are talking about C not subC.

Anyway, I use the charger 90% of the time with lipo, limn and could not be happier with it. As for discharging your lipo, I don't but I only run them on 1/18 scale and they are all rated at much higher than the C I am pulling. I run my cars every day or two and use my batteries constantly. (each gets charged several times a week). That being said, I did charge and discharge all my LIPO at 1C (or 1A if I could not go to 1C) 10 times in a row before running them in my cars.

Hope it helps! Enjoy your charger!
Max