Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Did I make a Bad Decision?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 AM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a Bad Decision?

I bought an Onyx 230 a few weeks ago and had a problem with it and turned it into Hobby Services for warrenty repair. They told me it needed to be replaced but the replacements were out of stock untill the end of September and offered me a Duratrax ICE, Great Planes Triton 2, or a Hobbico Accucycle Elite if I needed a charger now. Well I was in the market for an Emaxx 16.8 and I found one and traded one of my cars for it so I decided to tell Hobby Services to send me a Duratrax Onyx 240 dual charger. Well, I feel like I made a bad decision because I am reading now that most chargers including the ICE which I was thinking of getting can charge 2 batteries at the same time using a Y harness. I want to slow charge these new batteries I have to condition them but this 240 charger does not have a slow charging option.
It does not have many features at all. I just needed a dual charger that would charge my batteries fast and this one out of all the dual chargers I could have gotten from Hobby Services was the one that charged the fastest at 5 amps per battery at the same time. I was restricted to only the chargers that Hobby Services supported so I went with the Onyx 240. My decision was also dependent on the charger having AC AND DC inputs.

SO.......Did I make a bad decision???????[&:]
Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Mamba Max

Default RE: Did I make a Bad Decision?

ORIGINAL: tomcatguy74

I bought an Onyx 230 a few weeks ago and had a problem with it and turned it into Hobby Services for warrenty repair. They told me it needed to be replaced but the replacements were out of stock untill the end of September and offered me a Duratrax ICE, Great Planes Triton 2, or a Hobbico Accucycle Elite if I needed a charger now. Well I was in the market for an Emaxx 16.8 and I found one and traded one of my cars for it so I decided to tell Hobby Services to send me a Duratrax Onyx 240 dual charger. Well, I feel like I made a bad decision because I am reading now that most chargers including the ICE which I was thinking of getting can charge 2 batteries at the same time using a Y harness. I want to slow charge these new batteries I have to condition them but this 240 charger does not have a slow charging option.
It does not have many features at all. I just needed a dual charger that would charge my batteries fast and this one out of all the chargers I could have gotten from Hobby Services was the one that charged the fastest at 5 amps per battery at the same time. I was restricted to only the chargers that Hobby Services supported so I went with the Onyx 240. My decision was also dependent on the charger having AC AND DC inputs.

SO.......Did I make a bad decision???????[&:]
Out of the chargers you listed personally I would have gotten the ICE by far.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 AM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

OK How can the ICE charger charge 2 batteries at the same time? Does each battery get the same amount of juice or does it split up the charge between the 2 batteries?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 AM
xxSLiMxx

The onxy 240 dose have have diffrent charge rates .08 1.5 3.0 5.0.....try reading your manual.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

You did good with the onyx 240. A dual charger is usually best if the majority of your chargeing is for an e-maxx with 2 packs.

The only way the ice does two packs at a time is to connect the packs in series and then they would both get identical current and charge. It's like chargeing one big 12 cell pack (the + from one pack is hooked to the - of the other pack. The remaining + and - are hooked to the chargers output.