Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Good Form/Cycle charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Form/Cycle charger

I'm currently using an MRC 977 that I love, but as I'm trying to take better and better care of my batteries I would like to be able to do a "proper" form and cycle charge on them(NiMh). Since I can't turn off the peak setting on my MRC I can't do a proper form/cycle charge at the moment. I know their are form/cycle specific chargers out there, but I don't know which are best. I would like you guys to tell me any and all form/cycle chargers you know of and what your thoughts are on them. Money is no object, they can be either expensive or cheap(Obviously cheaper is better, if the charger is of good quality). Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 AM
JohnMuchow

Default RE: Good Form/Cycle charger

I've had good luck with both the iCharger 106B+ and 1010B+ with my NiCd and NiMH packs.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I use cheap wall chargers/power supplies if I have one that's close to the correct spec.

The accucycle and the multi-charger on this page are also good. http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/index.html if the rate is what you want. The accu-cycle turns off at 15 hrs, the multi-charger doesn't turn off.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Barber420

Did a quick search and couldn't find any prices on the Accu-cycle or Multi-Charger. The Accu-cycle looks like it would be a better cycling/form charger, but I'm curious as to the difference in price between the two. Will the Accu-cycle's 15hr limit hinder my cycling/forming of larger NiMh batts? Typically it should take 15hrs to form charge a battery if you set it to .1C right? If the Accu-Cycle Elite is $140, should I assume the Accu-Cycle is between $75 - 100?

The iCharger 106B+ looks really nice! The 1010B+ is far more than I need so although it's a VERY nice unit, I'm not going to pay $190 for it.

Any other suggestions out there?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
guver

Accu-cycles are about $39-$69 and are good if the rate is c/10 or more.
The multicharger should be $39 - $59 maybe. They may be discontinued.

The elite is a nice unit as well , and is one of the few that can be fooled to do a form charge. Most peak detect chargers cannot.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Barber420

I just bought my 977 this summer. I would be interested in the Accu-Cycle Elite, but I don't really want to buy another $100+ charger if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, when I bought my 977 I didn't fully understand the form/cycle charging aspect of batteries, or I would've bought a charger like the Accu-Cycle Elite that does it all in one unit. The Accu-Cycle would be good for form/cycle charging NiMh's up to 5000Mah right? The Accu-Cycle's price range is what I was shooting for if it was possible. One last question; Tower's write up says it's for Rx/Tx, but it will still work on my 6 and 7 cell packs right?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
guver

You will do it so infrequently that cobbling up an old wall charger may be the best deal. The 100 ma trickle at end of charge on the 977 will also tend to keep packs in balance if using the pack every week or so.

The accucycle has a 125 ma max rate and would take about 80-100 hrs estimated. The multicharger has at least one port with 500 ma. How about a 500 ma wall charger for $10 on towerhobbies?

The 977 is one of the better deals for normal charging of a pair of 6-7 cell packs.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Barber420

I love my 977, but I'm just bummed I can't "properly" form/cycle with it. If you say getting a wall charger for $10 is the way to go I'll beleive you. You always seem to have the answeres in this forum Guver!!! It sounds like the Accu-Cycle wouldn't do me much better than the way I currently do it with my OLD Astro Flight timed charger(100ma). I do use my 977's trickle to keep packs in the best balance I can.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
guver

If you're like me and don't like spending money then a cheap manual wall charger is best. Find one with approx 300-600 ma and for 6-12 volt batts. Remember all those old power supplies, dc adapters for phones, games, electronic devices? You may have what you need already. I've got a big box full of them.

If you've already used the 100 ma for many hrs then the forming chare has been done and can be forgotten. The 977 will keep the cells in balance. I'm wondering if it is even necessary now. You've already done it , it sounds like.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Barber420

So to find out what any generic wall plug is putting out I need to: read the voltage(6-12), and see what the amperage is(.3-.6 amps)? Then just cut the original connector and solder a TRX plug on? I've done form charges on the batteries I currently have, but I'm sure I'll end up with more new ones over time that will need it. However, I want to be able to cycle my batteries properly once in a while (every 2-4weeks) so they stay in good shape. That is advisable right? Since my MRC is a peak detector charger I can't cycle them as well as on a wall charger per se? Thanks for all of this help Guver!!!![8D]
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
guver

Check out Red's site "all about wall wart chargers" The devices have the specs embossed or printed on them. http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

It is a matter of total power so if the voltage is intended for your pack's voltage then the current listed can be trusted as good as can be. The nice thing about using a c/10 and 15 hrs is that if you go way over it won't hurt the battery.

Cycling will be unnecessary , simply charge them before use.

More info http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Barber420

Took a look at my dogs Peticure charger and figured out that it's real easy to tell the volts and aperage. So, that's no problem, I'll be able to dig something up that will work and just solder a TRX connector on it. However, you said it's not really necessary to cycle my packs? Why is that? I thought in order to keep them in good shape you needed to cycle them every so often. I do need to cycle them 2-3 times if they sit for a few weeks or more right? Also, it's best to fully charge NiMh packs before any extended shortage due to the voltage drop issue right?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
guver

Using them cycles them. If they had sat all winter then perhaps one cycle will help them OR one charge and run would do the same thing. Most people recommend leaving some charge in nimh packs. I still say it doesn't matter how they are stored , but matters how they are charged when coming out of stoage.
My jury is still out on the newer high capacity packs , they seem to drop voltage to below nominal levels. I still don't know if it hurts them.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
secret_squirrel

ORIGINAL: guver

The elite is a nice unit as well , and is one of the few that can be fooled to do a form charge. Most peak detect chargers cannot.
Guver,

I was curious on how you use an Accu-Cycle Elite to form charge batteries. I have one but always resort to the 100 mAh wall wart sitting on my bench for days :-)

TIA,

Dan
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 AM
guver

Set it to the max mv and a c/10 rate , set capacity at the actual capacity. It's worked everytime I used it, but there may be times where it won't work.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM
secret_squirrel

Set it to the max mv and a c/10 rate , set capacity at the actual capacity. It's worked everytime I used it, but there may be times where it won't work.
Thanks Guver,

Next time I will try that.

Dan
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
secret_squirrel

Guver,

I tried you suggestion. My Accu Cycle was set to 15 mV peak detection and it didn't make the full 15 hour charge at .15 A. My question though, can't I just set the trickle charge to 150 mAh with a .15 amp charge rate. Even if it peak detects it will switch over to the 150 mAh trickle. I guess my questions is will the 150 mAh trickle be the same as a .15 A. charge or does the trickle charge on the Accu-Cycle elite work differently.

TIA,
Dan
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 AM
RevGQ

I had went to my first Quarter Scale air races years ago and noticed what these teams were using to charge their planes. 90% of these guys were using equipment from Peak Electronics. I started with their charger and eventually invested in their other products including the form charger. I do own two other chargers but Peaks Sirius are my go to guys.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: secret_squirrel

Guver,

I tried you suggestion. My Accu Cycle was set to 15 mV peak detection and it didn't make the full 15 hour charge at .15 A. My question though, can't I just set the trickle charge to 150 mAh with a .15 amp charge rate. Even if it peak detects it will switch over to the 150 mAh trickle. I guess my questions is will the 150 mAh trickle be the same as a .15 A. charge or does the trickle charge on the Accu-Cycle elite work differently.

TIA,
Dan
Yes, that will work fine and charge at 150 ma until you remove it.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barber420

I love my 977, but I'm just bummed I can't "properly" form/cycle with it. If you say getting a wall charger for $10 is the way to go I'll beleive you. You always seem to have the answeres in this forum Guver!!! It sounds like the Accu-Cycle wouldn't do me much better than the way I currently do it with my OLD Astro Flight timed charger(100ma). I do use my 977's trickle to keep packs in the best balance I can.
Looking at the manual, it seems that a form/cycle on a NiMh battery can easily be done with the MRC977 charger. To charge: (1) set charge rate at C/10 (battery capacity, divided by 10) (e.g. 200 ma charge rate for a 2000 mah battery); (2) set "capacity charge" equal to the battery capacity + ~20% (see manual, page 5, item 8) (e.g. 2400 mah for the 2000 mah battery. No damage will occur to the battery if you "overcharge" at the C/10 rate. Overcharging at this rate is actually how the individual NiMh cells get "balanced" (equalized) with one another. To discharge: set discharge rate at C/5 (e.g. 400 ma for a 2000 mah battery) (see manual, page 7, item E). Make note of the amount of discharge (mah) that is displayed. If the capacity-discharged is within 10% of the battery-capacity (e.g. the capacity discharged is at least 1800 mah for the 2000 mah battery), then your NiMh battery is properly "formed". If not, repeat the described, charge-discharge cycle. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 cycles to "form" a new battery.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guver,

I was curious on how you use an Accu-Cycle Elite to form charge batteries. I have one but always resort to the 100 mAh wall wart sitting on my bench for days :-)

TIA,

Dan
Very easy as you can set the so called trickle charge as well as the charge current. Just set the current to 0.1C and also set the trickle current to the same value. Now, if the peak detector switches in, the trickle charge takes over at the same value.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
secret_squirrel

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Guver,

TIA,

Dan
Very easy as you can set the so called trickle charge as well as the charge current. Just set the current to 0.1C and also set the trickle current to the same value. Now, if the peak detector switches in, the trickle charge takes over at the same value.
You are 100% correct but, I also learned another step you must take today. You also need to up the battery capacity by 20% to fool the timed safety setting of the Accu-Cycle elite. At least I think this will do it. Haven't tried it yet. I am forming a 1500 mAh battery right now. Had it set for .15 Ah charge current, 150 mAh trickle and 15 mV peak detection. The Accu-Cycle timed out at 15 hours. I am guessing thei had something to do with the battery capacity of 1500 mAh.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
guver

As I recall the max is 16.5 hrs and 150% of capacity. I remember it timing out at 990 minutes. I've also see 15 hrs though and can't quite remember why the difference, lol. I do know that I did not have to add to the capacity.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
guver

Here's what is written in my manual from long ago.

Max timer is 999 minutes and max capacity is 150%
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Barber420

ORIGINAL: gyrocptr

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Looking at the manual, it seems that a form/cycle on a NiMh battery can easily be done with the MRC977 charger. To charge: (1) set charge rate at C/10 (battery capacity, divided by 10) (e.g. 200 ma charge rate for a 2000 mah battery); (2) set "capacity charge" equal to the battery capacity + ~20% (see manual, page 5, item 8) (e.g. 2400 mah for the 2000 mah battery. No damage will occur to the battery if you "overcharge" at the C/10 rate. Overcharging at this rate is actually how the individual NiMh cells get "balanced" (equalized) with one another. To discharge: set discharge rate at C/5 (e.g. 400 ma for a 2000 mah battery) (see manual, page 7, item E). Make note of the amount of discharge (mah) that is displayed. If the capacity-discharged is within 10% of the battery-capacity (e.g. the capacity discharged is at least 1800 mah for the 2000 mah battery), then your NiMh battery is properly "formed". If not, repeat the described, charge-discharge cycle. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 cycles to "form" a new battery.
Thanks for the 977 info. I'll have to try that when I get a new battery and need to form it. Sounds like it should work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.