Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Cycling 3000mAh nimh - charge/discharge to reform?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cycling 3000mAh nimh - charge/discharge to reform?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycling 3000mAh nimh - charge/discharge to reform?

I picked up the Intellipeak Ice charger mainly for my Rx and Tx packs but I do have a 3000mAh nimh car pack which I want to attempt to reform as it's capacity has decreased as it's sat in my garage for a bit. THe presets in my charger are 1C for charge and 1C for discharge with a 20 minute break between cycles. Is this a good charge/discharge profile to cycle this pack?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
fadi

Default RE: Cycling 3000mAh nimh - charge/discharge to reform?

Hello
I think 1C is not the most appropriate to reform your pack, common practice is to charge/discharge at 1/10 C so for your pack it is a current of 300mA.
Personally, I hate waiting that long for it to recycle, and I often apply 1/2 C current to reform my batteries after a long storage period.
I do 3 or 4 cycles, maybe a bit exagerated but I feel better that way
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot use a peak detecting charger to form charge. You need a constant current input as close to 0.1C as you can get and then put in at least 150% of capacity (like 15 to 16 hours at 0.1C). If then discharging to determine capacity, you would discharge at 0.3C down to 0.9 volt/cell. If you discharge at a higher rate or fail to discharge down to 0.9 volts/cell, you will get a lower mah reading.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

You cannot use a peak detecting charger to form charge. You need a constant current input as close to 0.1C as you can get and then put in at least 150% of capacity (like 15 to 16 hours at 0.1C). If then discharging to determine capacity, you would discharge at 0.3C down to 0.9 volt/cell. If you discharge at a higher rate or fail to discharge down to 0.9 volts/cell, you will get a lower mah reading.
This charger has the option to input up to 150% capacity when cycling. Default is set to 150% for cycling and .9v / cell discharge max. I changed the rates to .1C but like the idea of the .3C for discharge to speed this up a bit. Thanks for the replies.

somegeek
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM
richrd

After a few light cycles try at 80% C an look at the graft cycle if nice an smooth then good batt but when the pack is badly out of it hthen the graph will be all jummppppy an false peaks a lot... LOVE THE GRAFT
Rich