Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Did I ruin my Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
youngpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I ruin my Lipo?

I have a parkzone 3s 1300mah lipo. I accidentally left it plugged in to the airplane over night and now when i try to charge it, It just flashes error and will not charge. is there anything that I can do?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Did I ruin my Lipo?

Most likely you have destroyed it. There is a slight possibility that it can be recovered but; even if it can be charged, it may have diminished capacity. To try this, you must use a constant current source (most Nixx chargers are a constant current source) where you can make sure that the current you are injecting is small, best to be 100 milliamperes or close to that value. Put a voltmeter on the LiPo so that you can measure the voltage across the cells while you have the constant current source connected. If the battery is recoverable, you should see the voltage slowly rise across each cell (measure the voltage across each cell separately) and when the voltage rises to 3 volts on each cell the LiPo charger should now be able to finish charging. Be sure to keep an eye on the balance of the cells. If a cell does not start to slowly increase in voltage as you have the constant current being injected, the cell is no longer usable. There is little or no danger in doing this unless you inadvertently short out one of the cells after the voltage starts to rise or leave the constant current connected after a cell has reached 4.2 volts. To be safe, just keep everything placed so that, it the cell gets hot, it doesn't start a fire. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 PM
youngpilot

thanks. Currently i just hooked it up to my electrifly charger. it is taking a charge so i will just wait and see if it will take it then if it does i will balance it with the parkzone charger. If that fails, it looks like I am buying a new battery.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
empty_space

You better off getting a new battery. Since you don't know how much the battery will hold ruined it, you will have to do some short flights and see how many mahs you put back in. Otherwise you might over discharge the lipo again.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 AM
youngpilot

yes I think I will just have to buy a new one. any recommendations.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
empty_space

If you want something cheap, then you could look at hobbycity.com. Some people don't like getting anything from China, but I got a lot of stuff from hobbycity and had no problems.
Shipping is expensive but you would still save more money then by getting a battery somewhere else. Just make sure you select the registered shipping or EMS. You want to select registered shipping because if you don't and if it get lost in the mail, then that's your problem and hobbycity won't replace it. EMS shipping will get to you in 3-5 days, registered will take 10-30 days.

And one more thing, don't order anything out of stock because then might have to wait 2 weeks for it to come in.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7311
or
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7483

Look around, they have a bunch of stuff.