Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Large Batt/motor combo for UAV

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Jeff Page
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Batt/motor combo for UAV

I need to lift a 30-40 lb VTOL UAV vertically with a 20-26 inch prop. Are there any available Batteries/motors that could handle my requirement, and give me 1 hour of cruise endurance at 65% of take off power? (vertical takeoff).

Thanks

Jeff C Page
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 AM
richrd

Default RE: Large Batt/motor combo for UAV

LiPO's for light weight and AXI are good motors to start with

Rich

Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Large Batt/motor combo for UAV

You will probably want 200W-300W per pound for decent vertical performance. At 40lbs, you're up to 12KW (profided the motor/prop combination is efficiant.)

For 12KW, You'll want to keep your amps down so you don't melt things. If you can keep it under 200A , you can shoot for 60V system which would be 18 LiPo cells in series. They would have to be a minimum of 7AH cells capable of 30C constant discharge rates.

This requires you source:

A motor capable of 200A and 60V - then a prop to match the KV rating to reach 12KW
A speed control capable of 200A and 60V

or - look at a custom gear/belt system to gange several smaller motors together so you can reduce your amps/volts per motor. You just have to take into account gear train loss and add it all up.

so, I hope your 40lbs includes all this battery/motor hardware.