Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How to tell if a switch is bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 12:31 PM
ctatham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a switch is bad

is there a simple way to check if a JR switch is bad. I had a battery almost catch fire on a switch so am afraid to plug a new battery into it. Is there a continuity test I can use or something like that?
Old 04-04-2002, 02:52 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

If I understand you correctly, you want to test for a shorted switch? First, if it's even in doubt, throw it out. What were the circumstances involving the shorted battery? If you have a standard volt/ohm meter we can do the continuity test. Let me know_Bob
Old 04-04-2002, 05:59 PM
ctatham

Default switch

at my lhs this morning we did a continuity test and the switch is bad.....I'm baffled by it...brand new jr switch. With battery direct to rx, everything works fine so I don't think there is an issue in the circuit elsewhere. Problem arose one day when I flipped the switch on and smoke poured out of battery compartment.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:12 PM
3-d expert
My Feedback: (1)

IMO when in doubt throw it out a switch is cheaper to replace that any other componet on your aircraft.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:22 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

I just posted this on "potential hazards" read on.

I recently set up a new glider and was using some "used equipment" I was having difficulty charging my 750mil NiMh pack that I had been using with good success in another airplane. My SuperNova would only put in about 75-90mil amps and stop charging. I took the battery out of the airplane and hooked it directly to the charge cord and wallaaa, it charged as usual.
I hooked up the battey again to the setup and this time I hooked up my expanded volt meter to check things over. A quick wiggle test indicated a partial open or grounding problem in the switch leads. This is not the first time that the expanded meter has saved me from a potential problem/crash. The SuperNova was also telling me there was a problem also. Also wiggle test all your connectors and watch for flucuations in your meter. Tell tale signs you have bad conectors or wiring problems
Just some FYI to prevent a problem. Seems the switches are the most problem areas I have had to contend with on most of my stuff... so I go with the upgrade ones when ever possible.