Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Head is Spinning, Need Advice for Lipo and Charger for my RC10T4.1

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Head is Spinning, Need Advice for Lipo and Charger for my RC10T4.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
moosehead89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head is Spinning, Need Advice for Lipo and Charger for my RC10T4.1

hey folks,

I have been out of the hobby for close to a decade now and after doing a days worth of research I've decided on the RC10T4.1. However, Lipo's are new to me. I have read all the posts in the common sense thread and several others but I am having a bit of trouble figuring out what size lipo and charger to get. It seems from what I have read 7.4 volts seems to be about as high as I should go, but I am curious as to what charger would work well and also how in the world do you know if the battery connector matches up with the esp connector and likewise with the charger prior to purchasing them? Boy things sure have changed!

Thanks in Advance-
Moose
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Head is Spinning, Need Advice for Lipo and Charger for my RC10T4.1

Moose,
Start with what you want to use it for i.e. electric plane/car/boat motors and the size/weight of it, or only Rx battery. Once that isdefined,then work back to size the battery and then the charger size.Theres probably more being said about batteries and chargers than about all planes for the last 50 years...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 PM
moosehead89

huh? Not exactly the info I was looking for, but thanks for trying!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:46 AM
grizzly59

If you get the brushless motor here is what is recommended. 6-8 cell NiMH (7.2~9.6V); 2-3 cell LiPo (7.4~11.1V). Buy a Lipo charger like the Hyperion 0606i. Then decide which brand battery you will purchase. Then buy the battery balance adapter from Hyperion that matches to the battery brand you will be buying.

If you use the NiMH you will not need a balance adapter. Charging is straight up neg to neg and pos to pos.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
moosehead89

Hoosier- thanks for the input, I am thinking about this 7.4v from hobby people but it doesn't stipulate what type of connector it uses.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/118130.asp
Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moosehead,
I wonder if you should rather ask the RC cars/truck people in their forum in theirRCU site, as their batteries, ESC and motors are differently specced/different designthan that generally used by planes. You may waste money on the wrong stuff.

This is a flying site. However, if your question relates to aircraft, here goes
For flying, generally speaking, "outrunner" electric motors with 11.1V lipo (+/- 3000mAh)batteries are used forthe more popularsmaller/medium planes.
I'm using "Deans" type heavy duty connectors for my lipo 11.1 V x 3000mAh batteries. They are sold by most hobby shops.

The rough rule of thumb tosee whatyou would need for a plane is:
General flying: use 100 - 150Watt per 500 gram of plane weight, thus, if the plane weighs around 1000gram AUW, you should look at a 200 - 300W "outrunner" motor, then you spec the ESC and batteryto it. More aggressive 3D flying etc may need more i.e. >180W. I have no ideawhat they use for cars.You need to match specs accurately for the motor/ESC/battery or youwill burn out something. If it is the first time you look at lipo's, read thesafety instructions carefully as they can cause a fire.

The 5000 mAh (7.4V) is a hardpack andisprobablyused for an ESC and motor for lower voltage, higher amperage - probably for RCtrucks. The rating is different and may use different connectors.The Deans plugs may work but 5000mAh is a lot and may overheat it.

As for lipo chargers, the Hyperion is definitely a very good brand. Generally the more popular lipo chargers for flying can charge up to +/-5000mAh max. As said before we use higher Voltage and i.e. 3000mAh lipo's. If you go for 5000mAh battery, you need to look at a higher spec lipo charger, and then money can start to roll. Just a heads up.
Hope this helps a bit

Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
moosehead89

awesome, thanks. I picked up a battery and charger today!