Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NiMh charger issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 AM
robert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMh charger issue

Hi!
A few years ago I bought Graupner Ultramat 16 charger to take care of all my batteries. So far it's been working great on all my batteries (Lipo's, radio NiMh, glo battery and receiver Nimh).
Finishing up my latest plane though, I decided to cycle my receiver pack (JR 1500Mah) (about 3 months old, never used). I put it on to cycle, and didn't notice that it didn't come off the charge cycle until about 3000Mah had been put in. Not wanting to risk it, I went out and got another Nimh battery (2000Mah Sanyo cells) and put it to cycle. End result is 700Mah put into the pack after cycling.

Is there something up with the charger that it just can't charge these cells accurately? I've been charging at 0.3A and discharging at 0.5A. These rates have always worked for my Tx battery and my previous receiver packs. Maybe there is some setting somewhere in the charge that I need to work on?

Here are the basic specs on the charger: http://www.graupner.de/en/products/8...1/product.aspx

Thanks for any input!
Robert.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NiMh charger issue

On any new Nixx battery (or one that has been dormant awhile) you should do a slow charge for 16 hours. This is defined as charging at 0.1C rate. For your 2000mah battery that would be charging at 0.2 amperes for 16 hours; you do not have to discharge before starting this slow charge. If comparing to factory specifications for capacity, discharge at about 0.3C down to 0.9 volts/cell while recording the milliampere hours taken out. It may take up to 5 cycles of this slow charge/discharge for the battery to reach full capacity. Note: you can not use a peak detecting charger for this full charge unless you can set the both the charge rate and the trickle charge rate to be 0.1C and then just leave it on for 16 hours.