Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Soldering to AAA Eneloop batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Soldering to AAA Eneloop batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Soldering to AAA Eneloop batteries

I know it is not good practice to solder leads to any Nixx based battery due to the high possibility of destroying the seal at the positive terminal if you apply to much heat. However, with care I have successfully done this for years on both NiCad and NiMh. My question is, have any of you done this with the Sanyo Eneloop AAA cells? If any of you have some good info on whether or not the internal structures of these cells are any more prone to damage from heat than the old structures, I'd appreciate the information. Perhaps there has been an improvement in the way the seals are implemented over how it was done for the older manufacturing techniques. Since my retirement, I have lost a lot of my sources for inside information on battery manufacturing.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Soldering to AAA Eneloop batteries

Rodney,

I have made up 2 8-cell packs for my transmitters using AA Eneloop cells. Preparation was the same as for any NiCD pack - I used 600-grit wet/dry to scuff the ends. A 100w Weller iron was used to tin the ends and the nickel strips. I then sweated the strips to the cells.

These packs have now been in service for more than a year and approx 50 cycles each. They are much better than the previous NiMh packs I had. Capacity is still the same as day one - 2000MAh.

I have no experience with the AAA cells but I am guessing that these will be similar in reliability.

Bliksem

Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 AM
spog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Soldering to AAA Eneloop batteries

I have 4 eneloop AAA Rx packs and a AA Tx pack that have been working fine all summer. These are excellent batteries.