Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GEE BEE 751

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GEE BEE 751

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM
dheiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEE BEE 751

First time RC buyer. We purchased a Gee Bee 751 for our grandson. We got it put together, but can't get the motor to turn on. The flaps and things work. There is a red switch (button) on the left side of the fuselage, but the instructions don't even mention this item. Battery is charged. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong, and the instructions are the worst in the world. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. dheiron in manitowoc, wi.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GEE BEE 751

I tried to look up the model supplier and came up with a few, however, none had a manual that was down-loadable, so it's difficult to answer the question without having one in front of me.

The problems you could be encountering is not having the motor hooked up correctly to the ESC. In the model specs, they show that it's a brushed motor design so there are only two wires going from the ESC to the motor.. and of course, two wires leading from the battery to the ESC, excluding the wire harness for the throttle.

So, you must have the battery connected to the ESC, then the throttle from the ESC to the radio receiver, and of course, the wires from the ESC to the motor. That combination should be checked and make sure it's correct.

One quick question, though. Is the intended "pilot" experience in RC flight? If not, this is a very poor choice for a beginner level RC aircraft. These are not very forgiving as a good high-wing trainer would be.

CGr.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
forestroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second CGRetired, maybe not getting the motor running is a blessing in disguise! unless your grandson has some experience flying RC airplanes there is no way that your gift will last longer than its first flight. in fact the next post you'll do is "how to fix foam that has been broken into a thousand pieces".

but if your grandson does have some flight time, there is usually a safety mechanism with these ESCs. for example, you'll need to go to full power, back to idle THEN hit the red button in order to get the ESC to engage. since there is no manual, what it is difficult to say. try that first. this prevents you from turning on your plane with wide open throttle (WOT) and chewing up anything in its path.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also...while you're trying to get things figured out, it might not be a bad idea to temporarily remove the prop. Watch your fingers...

It would be a lot safer, just in case you do get a quick and unexpected burst of power to the motor.

Many of us who were new to electric power have been surprised by a sudden and (sometimes ) unexpected spin-up of the motor. (not to mention blowing stuff all over the room...or having a paper towel suddenly sucked into the prop...etc.[X(] )
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: Speaking of glitches...oops, double post.