Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

hello new to RC flying

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

hello new to RC flying

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
martyisnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello new to RC flying

Hello all new to rc flying.Just like to say hello and i'm going shopping for a sim , since my first two flights ended up in a crash.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
goirish

Default RE: hello new to RC flying

I guess you weren't on a buddy box....... Have you looked for a club to help you out? When I read your post I though it should be "hello new to RC crashing"Seriously, find someone to help you unless you have LOTS of green backs.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
martyisnuts

There is a club 10 minutes from me but in a month and a half the weather hear is against me and when it is nice well you know,everyone is working. Can't win
Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Welcome to RCU. Lots of good smart people here. (Me not being one of them! )
A buddy box is the way to go. Many people have taught themselves to fly, but many have also quit the hobby trying to learn to fly.
It can be quite frustrating when you spend too much time repairing and too much money buying replacement stuff.
If you do try to teach yourself to fly, keep it inexpensive and practice on that sim!
Good luck.
Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
martyisnuts

Thanks Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM
TruBlu02

Welcome to RCU and he wonderful hobby of over priced flying toys!! Good choice on the sim. They are very much worth their weight in gold. On another note I have actually stopped in Halifax for an overnight stay. I was on a return trip from the middle east and we stopped there on a US Air Force C130. Pretty cool city you got there. We had a blast!!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
martyisnuts

Thx Trublu i'm sure i'll have fun flying and glad you had a good time here in the city.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If you think you will stick with this hobby, then you might as well spring for Realflight G5, that is if your Pc is up to the task.
The sim is great for begginner training, but it has also been a valuable tool for teaching myself areobatics and 3D flying. No sim is exactly the same as actually flying a model, but it will teach you the basics of how to perform a manuever and will help you gain the muscle memory and reflexes you need. Knife edges, flat spins, stall turns, etc. were all practiced for several hours on the sim before I tried them on one of my models.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
martyisnuts

Thanks Jerry. I was thinking about the phoenix sim.since i already have the DX5E trans. wiyh my E-Flite Appentice i here it's a good sim too.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihad a terrible time trying to teach myself to fly!
Then I got a sim and joined a club. After all the sim time I put in my training consisted of 3 ten minute lessons where the instructor just handed me the contoller and said " here fly it" ,and Idid.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 AM
abaser

I am self taught myself and I can tell you the sim really helps. Cant tell you about phoenix but RF G5 has this wonderful swap page where you can DL different planes free and its very likely you can find your plane on it to practice with. I started out with a duraplane (flies like a brick), found it on the swaps, and it flew just like the real deal. practiced a few hours on just takeoffs and landings, and the next real flight went without a hitch. I wont tell you you wont crash cause you probably will some, but it does help. Well worth the money. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
roflmcwaffle

i'm brand new too i also have an e-flite apprentice and crashed on my first flight (looks like we have alot in common)
my crash was because of crosswinds on the landing, whoops, but that plane flies great and i was doing awesome in the air for 10 minutes or so
I know i dont have the budget for a $200 dollar sim so rc-desk pilot is the way to go,you can practice on keyboard like me or order a $10 cord to hook up your dx5e to, im planing on ordering one soon
heres the address for the awesome free sim  http://rcdeskpilot.com/
Have fun! good luck
*my crash cracked the motor mount and cowl, it is a $9 fix, no biggie