Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

bind N fly

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

bind N fly

Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bind N fly

Why will Futaba not come out with something like the bind n fly like jr and spektrum have
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bind N fly

Bind N Fly is just putting your receiver in a RTF sans receiver correct?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Bind N Fly is just putting your receiver in a RTF sans receiver correct?

Mike,
The Bind-N-Fly planes are just that. They come with servos, battery, and a receiver already installed. All you do it bind it to your radio and then fly.

I'm sure that Hobbico/Futaba have looked at this option, and for whatever reason have not pursued it as an option for their products. This is one of the things about the way corporations are ran.They have goals that they wish to meet, or target markets they want to sell to, and they tailor their product line in that direction. If they felt that BNF products were where they wanted to go I"m sure you would be seeing them on the market. This is obviously something that Horizon wants to capture. Their E-Flite line of plane fills a niche in the market that many other companies do not.

Ken
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

All you need to do to bind a Futaba FASST is turn on the transmitter, push the little button on the receiver and wait until the light stops flashing. There is a different electronic process but end result is a transmitter that speaks only to your receiver.

Tom
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bind N Fly is just putting your receiver in a RTF sans receiver correct?.... oops that's receiver ready.... sorry
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Bind N Fly is just putting your receiver in a RTF sans receiver correct?.... oops that's receiver ready.... sorry
ParkZone calls them PNP aka Plug in Play. Its the same as the BNF (Bind in Fly) just without the Rx....... You know, for the Futaba guys.

If you buy the PNP, you just drop in your receiver of choice and fly. As you can see in the link below, the price is $65 less. Thats about the cost of a receiver (less battery).

http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...gprice%25257c1
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihave often wondered this too. I am a Futaba owner but I went out and bought a cheap Spektrum DX-5 just for the micro BNFplanes from Horizon.

I did notice that Tower has a nice receiver-ready foam P-51 out now though that is in the same class as a lot of the Parkzone airplanes. Could BNF planes for Futaba be coming next? Who knows but it sure would be cool.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
oldtyme

The Bind and fly just traps you into buying Horizon and Spektrum products. I'm a Futaba guy and if I want to buy something that Horizon sells..........not often..........I would buy the plug and play and install a Futaba receiver.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

Why will Futaba not come out with something like the bind n fly like jr and spektrum have
Except for the rare occasion that BNF effectively gives you a new receiver much more cheaply than if you had to go and buy one.... I see no advantage to BNF versus PNP.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

Except for the rare occasion that BNF effectively gives you a new receiver much more cheaply than if you had to go and buy one.... I see no advantage to BNF versus PNP.
I agree except when it comes to the micro stuff. Those have the receiver integrated with the other components so there is no way to provide your own receiver. That's why I eneded up buying the spare radio.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I see no advantage to BNF versus PNP.
The big difference is you get a lipo and a wall charger with the BNF.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
TruBlu02

I have often wished Futaba would do something like this as well. I bought my 7C so I could not have a bunch of radios laying around.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a simple matter that Spektrum developed that tiny receiver technology first that worked with E-Flite's model designs. Any manufacturer could do it, but it's a business gamble to put the R&D dollars into developing it in the hopes that the market will pay you for it. In the micro case, I'm not so sure another manufacturer could profitably get into that market at this point. It's an added cost to maintain inventory of two different radio technologies in BNF airplanes, and the fact is that Spektrum stuff works. As for the bigger planes, I figure we'll see more PNP products as the latecomers to 2.4 continue to grow and the market starts to demand receiver ready planes.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

I have often wished Futaba would do something like this as well. I bought my 7C so I could not have a bunch of radios laying around.
I don't understand this statement........I have one transmitter..........a Futaba 10C and I have 10 flyable models programmed into it and all are flyable.........what is the point? This is an older 10C so I can also fly 72mhz on a couple of my models as well. The difference is that Futaba only requires one receiver per plane.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 AM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

TruBlu is saying he wishes futaba had bind and fly aircraft. He bought his 7c so he would not have 1 txmtr per plane but one txmtr for all planes like you have.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I see no advantage to BNF versus PNP.
The big difference is you get a lipo and a wall charger with the BNF.
That would be great if there really when there is a real advantage with that.

IMHO the provided LiPo's are usually LESS than optimal, and typically cost more than higher capacity LiPo's I end up putting in.

The wall charger is a bit of a joke as well. I've got a box full of them, that I'd love to exchange for one GOOD spare charger like another TC1030 or something of that caliber.

For someone just starting out, BNF might offer an advantage, but the typical result is that thanks to BNF novices end up over their heads.

The other side of the coin, is that sometimes it's actually worth it... e.g. the increase in price for BNF versus PNP on a couple of their warbirds is less than the price of the receiver alone.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
jester_s1

To follow the tangent the opjose just started, BNF seems to get a lot of people off on the wrong foot in the hobby. They are presented as easy planes to set up and get flying, which leads at least some beginners to think that they are also easy to fly. I know there's no way to measure it, but I do wonder how many prospective RC flyers have bought something like a BNF P51 only to crash it immediately and then leave the hobby because they had a bad first experience.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I disagree. BNFs are aimed at advanced pilots, since they assume you've already got a transmitter.

RTFs are aimed at beginners.

Hobby People is starting to come out with an Airtronics version of BNF, called I-Bind. Here's a link to their first I-Bind offering:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ronics-rx.html
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget there's also an ESC built into the bnf module too. What newby doesn't want to learn to fly with a Mustang. He just get led it the wrong direction. The Ember is an excellent plane to learn on. Vety basic, tough and easy to fix. The little MSR heli is also an excellent heli to learn on. Very stable for a heli, but it's toughness is its biggest asset. Drive it into a wall, pick it up and go again. Right now their biggest asset is for indoor flying. Reciever can also be programmed for two cell operation as well as brushless. Guts can be used for whatever your imagination will allow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64670.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1532483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87465.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1532484  
Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

To follow the tangent the opjose just started, BNF seems to get a lot of people off on the wrong foot in the hobby. They are presented as easy planes to set up and get flying, which leads at least some beginners to think that they are also easy to fly. I know there's no way to measure it, but I do wonder how many prospective RC flyers have bought something like a BNF P51 only to crash it immediately and then leave the hobby because they had a bad first experience.
Unfortunately I've seen MANY!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

I disagree. BNFs are aimed at advanced pilots, since they assume you've already got a transmitter.

RTFs are aimed at beginners.
But that doesn't occur.

Even here newbies are told to get a BNF setup as it's far better than an RTF configuration.

The rational behind this is good, ( you get a MUCH better radio )... what the newbies miss is that this only applies to TRUE ENTRY level planes...

So they take the BNF advice and go and purchase a P-51...

How many have we unsuccessfully tried to talk someone out of more advanced planes here?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
jester_s1

Even reading the marketing verbage it's implied that the little e-flite and parkzone airplanes are easy to fly. I like the one I have and it certainly fits a niche in the hobby for me, but it's not nearly as easy to handle as my Ultra Stick, let alone my trainer before that.