Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Second plane

I just started to get used to my PT40 and I am already thinking about my second plane.
I am looking at something easy to fly at low speed but still able to do some aerobatics.
Something close to an ARF too. Do not want to spend a lot of time building this time.
I have 3 planes in mind, any comment is greatly appreciated:

Easy Sport 40 MKII
Cherokee 40 ValueSer
Escapade 40.

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 AM
DenverJayhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Second plane

those are all good choices. Lots of people also recommend a Pulse, 4 Star, or equivalent. If you want something easy to fly slowly, aerobatic, quick to build, and tough then look no further than a Stik. You want something with a big wing and low wing loading with large control surfaces to meet your requirements.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

those are all good choices. Lots of people also recommend a Pulse, 4 Star, or equivalent. If you want something easy to fly slowly, aerobatic, quick to build, and tough then look no further than a Stik. You want something with a big wing and low wing loading with large control surfaces to meet your requirements.
+1, also take a look at the Super Sportster, it's in the same class but I find it a bit better stunter then the Pulse and 4*. There are just so many good second planes today in ARF form it's hard to pick out just one.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harryangus

I just started to get used to my PT40 and I am already thinking about my second plane.
I am looking at something easy to fly at low speed but still able to do some aerobatics.
Something close to an ARF too. Do not want to spend a lot of time building this time.

Easy Sport 40 MKII
Cherokee 40 ValueSer
Escapade 40.

Thanks,

Boy, are you looking for some input or what I wouldn't doubt that you get plenty of choices.. So, with that, I'll offer mine.

My second plane was a Goldberg Tiger 60. The main reason is it's size and that it is easy to fly.

It was recommended to me by my instructor who was also a Master level Pattern Pilot. He suggested the Tiger 60 because, if it is set up right and trimmed up correctly, it can be a great entry level pattern plane (keeping in mind that the Sportsman category is fairly basic with maneuvers that you may have learned as a student) as well as something that is more advanced than a trainer, but possessed trainer-like categories in that it's easy to fly and is very forgiving. Mine started out with an OS .62 two stroke and ended up with a Super Tigre 75 with a tuned pipe. No matter, it flew great with either engine. One guy had an OS .91 four stroke on his. It too flew just great.

It's size makes it very visible, and it's wing loading makes it a real easy to fly and controllable at low speeds, yet is a low-wing aircraft with lots of aerobatic capabilities.

But, there are quite a few other aircraft in that size that are equally well suited for a second plane, for instance, the Four Star 60 for one.

Good luck choosing!!

CGr.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your input. I see I have many more choices.
However, price is also a factor. The 3 ARFs I was looking at are under $140.
I would like to go ARF for my second plane. Kits end up costing a lot and takes a very long time.
A good forgiving ARF under $150 is my goal. I am not cheap, just poor.
Boating is my other hobby, so I have very little cash left !!!

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

i went with a world models Sky Raider Mach II from Rc Kens list od intermidate/second planes and love it, might be worth a look, quick build and flies great slow or fast
Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Easy Sport 40 MKII
Cherokee 40 ValueSer
Escapade 40.

Thanks,

If that Cherokee 40 Value Series you're referring to is the one from Hangar 9, you might want to avoid it. It has shelf paper style covering on it and I'm told they don't age very well because of the covering.

The Easy Sport 40 MkII was my second plane, and I really enjoyed flying it. The GP Escapade would be a fun choice, as well.

If low cost, good quality, and easy assembly are your top priorities, then I'd recommend looking at the various Phoenix Models ARFs from Tower Hobbies. The Dolphin 40 ARF, for example, is only about $100. It's a well-built homage (copy) of the Sig Four Star .40 that comes with Oracover covering and is largely pre-built. The control surfaces are hinged and pinned from the factory, the pilot and canopy are already installed, the engine mount is already bolted onto the firewall.

All of the Phoenix Models ARFs I've built share most of these characteristics, all though not every one is covered with Oracover (the Sonic .25-size high wing and low wing ARFs use a high quality type of shelf paper covering, for example).

Nobody has mentioned a bad plane in this thread so far. The Goldberg Tigers are terrific, the Sky Raider Mach II/Super Sports 40s/LA Racer ARFs from The World Models are all terrific aircraft as well. The tough part will simply be picking one, but at least you'll know you can't really make a bad choice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36532.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1537641  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
fly boy2

Go with either a GP Cherokee or a Tiger 2
Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: rgm762

i went with a world models Sky Raider Mach II from Rc Kens list od intermidate/second planes and love it, might be worth a look, quick build and flies great slow or fast
i second that or the LA Racer(its not really a fast plane or for racing)
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Tequesta

Hello,

So many good suggestions. It is a hard choice. Tiger and Stick would be the way I would go. Look for a used plane at your local hobby store, many people move on from these models and you can get a great deal. I pick up a Stick with Engine, like new for 80$. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
BadSplice

I have been flying an Easy Sport for the last 3 or 4 years and I love it and would definitely recommend it as a 2nd plane. I use mine (with buddy box) to train new pilots. It's a lot like a Stick, but with smaller control surfaces, and a bit of dihedral, so its a bit more stable. I love my easy sport so much that when the covering started to peel off I gave it a makeover. Side mounted the engine to keep the exhaust out of the wing joint, made a balsa cowl (that can be removed), a slightly bigger rudder, and gave it a new covering scheme. Heres a pic of it on the floats I made for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61830.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1537689  
Old 12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Phoenixangel

You can not go wrong with a Tiger or a Stick either plane is everything you are asking about. Tons of fun for years. Whatever you decide HAVE FUN ! and a Merry Christmas !
Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
CGRetired

Yeah, I have to agree with that because I've flown both. They are a real joy to fly, and they will do pretty much anything you want them to do. You just can't go wrong.

CGr.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Lnewqban

A good forgiving ARF under $150 is my goal. I am not cheap, just poor.
http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2926

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2134

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2138
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
ameyam

Hmmm...

Tiger (40 or 60) (Phoenix or CG). CG Tiger ARFs are not avail from Tower, you will find them elsewhere
Phoenix Dolphin- Its ideal second plane. 61" wing span and relatively sturdily built for "cheap chinese" models. Its well suited for grass fields, just put a bigger tailwheel and reinforce all the joints you can reach with CA and add stiffners to the sides of the fuse hatch
WM Super Sporster: Also very good but 59" span
GP Easysport- its a great plane to fly
GP /H9 Stik / Bigstik: These are good airplanes and are sturdy because they have a simple box type construction

Or you can go all out and get a UCD 40 or 60. Though they are 3D in intent, you can fly them like sports airplanes with the low throws. They are fun because they are practically unstallable. And they (need to) fly very slow so you have more time to react if you make a mistake

Ameyam
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Oberst
Banned

All good choices my friend. Are you sure you don't want a warbird for your second plane? Just kidding.

Pete
Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
TruBlu02

Alot of good suggestions here but I will reccomend one of the choices you mentioned. The Escapade is alot of fun. I just bought myself one for christmas and it has been alot of fun. I was looking for something cheap to mount a spare OS 55AX in. Right now you can pick it up for $100 shipped from Tower Hobbies using their promo code. It is far from my second plane but it is a dream to fly and loads of fun. There is a really long thread on them here at RCU in the ARF section. If price is a concern the Escapade is has alot of bang for your buck and takes very little time to assemble. Good luck!!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:17 PM
DaveB

I have had both the EZ-Sport kit and the ARF versions and IMO both are excellent choices for second planes. You won't regret either as a choice.

DaveB
Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Reson7
My Feedback: (4)

Pulse XT 60 with a Saito 100 GK....period.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

The pulses both are a bit over priced for his stated budget. The Escapade is very much like the pulse in flight characteristics. I have both and they fly almost the same. I would say the Escapade is good the goldberg tigers are good and the GP cherokee is good it is at the top end of the budget though. Escapades make great 2 nd planes and then it is a nice knock around to have. I just put skis on mine and flew from snow. One thingI donot see mentioned is what engine you have planned for this next plane. The escapade is great with almost any 40 ish engine. I have heard as low as 36 and seen 55ax's in a few with the 55 ax throtle control is a must. Iflew mine with a magnum 46 and now it has a tower 46 in it. The Magnum seems to have a bit more power so I have another project for it. Anyway give the Escapade and the GP cherokee a good hard look.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:24 PM
scooterinvegas

Sig Four Star (ARF) - 40 $150

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=703481
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

How about this one? $94.99

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co..._tricycle.html
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Escapde is really cheap, well made, flies awesome and looks great. It has become my benchmark for comparing all other planes.
Mine flies great on just an Irvine 36 , flies off grass with it too, but my club has covered runways so I dont have to .
It even comes with wheel pants that are kinda cool.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
stevenmax50

My first non trainer was the Tiger 60. It flies great. I love it.

Oh ya.....I modified it into a taildragger. Its way cool.