Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
welchcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice

Hello all im completly new to the airplane scheme. Ihave had a few electric cars and a few glow cars. Iactually got into this as i am deployed to afghanistan at the moment and working as a mission commander for the Scaneagle UAV. Im an air traffic controller by trade. Idont actually control it but i clear airspace for it. Some of the operators out here are really big into these things and started poking around a bit and found it to be quite intresting.

The questions i had were im looking for a good book that i can read up and learn about more. Here is what i have done so far, i ordered the phoenix simulator with the GX5e. Idont know a damn thing about if its any good but what i read as far as reviews was the simulator was one of the best. Yes im sure everyone probably has their favorite but im learning here so i went by the reviews. Secondly, i got a BNF super cub LP. From what i read its very repairable and a great airplane for someone that is learning. Iwanted to get a thrust jet, but the reality of it was that if i got one i know i just would of torn it to hell in a matter of seconds. Sounds pathetic but my course of action is to basically play on this simulator as much as i can and when i get back stateside i think ill try to fly the cub. I had the software and tx sent out here and te plane sent stateside. Iwould like to get pretty profecient on the cub and then i would like to move up to a habu or simulair.

Will the tx work for both a/c? Is there a good book that i can learn more about this stuff? Good magazine? Good online stores to go through as i will have limited resources where im going.

Any good resources would be greatly appreciated, or opinions if im going about this the wrong way. Iam trying to approach this from a gradual perspective.

Respectfully,

Chris
Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Seeking advice

This sounds like a sensible course of action to me. The sim will get you ready for the cub. If you are planning on sticking with the small electric foamies you probably don't need to do much more than this. However if you are thinking larger glow powered models you will want to find a club and an instructor to mentor you. The best resource for rc are sites like this. This beginners forum is a good place to start.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Chris,

First off; thank you for your service. Secondly; the Phoenix sim actually has the Super Cub LP on it, so you should be way ahead of the curve when you do get back and fly it for the first time. With time on the sim; you should have it mastered pretty quick. The Habu is also on the Phoenix sim. The Habu is pretty fast. A lot faster than the Cub. I would probably go from the Cub to a T28 Trojen before the Habu. I say this because the Cub is a 3 channel plane and the rest are 4 Channel. Might be a small learning curve once you add another channel, but this is just my opinion. Good things: all of these planes are on the Pheonix sim and the DX5e can control all of them as well; just bind and fly.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

"The best resource for rc are sites like this. This beginners forum is a good place to start."

+1!!!

Dont need no stinking book! Just internet time to read here at RCUniverse. Every question you could have has been discussed here, so just use the search button.

Hobby Zone Super Cubs are easy to fly. With some time on the Sim you shouldn't have any problems, just don't fly it in the wind at first.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welchcp - check out the "sticky" thread about MinnFlyer & RCKen joining forces. Both are fantastic sources for the kind of info for which you're looking. The 2nd post (MinnFlyer) has a link to getting airborne.

If you browse the forums / sub-forums here at RCU you'll see the general segregation of topics. The biggie is propulsion: electric, glow (2 & 4 stroke), gas (primarily big toys), turbines. Then there's type of interest - sport, pylon racing, scale, warbirds, 3-D, pattern, soaring, the list goes on and on - limited only by your imagination.

Good luck while you sample this addictive hobby ...

Oh yea - get hooked up with a local AMA club. Training is a good thing. The simulators will give you awareness and familiarity with the transmitter (aka Tx) controls and how the planes behave. Different from actually playing at the field.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

welchcp - check out the "sticky" thread about MinnFlyer & RCKen joining forces. Both are fantastic sources for the kind of info for which you're looking. The 2nd post (MinnFlyer) has a link to getting airborne.
Here you go - www.gettingairborne.com

Ken
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 PM
radius1x1

Hey Welchcp, you made a great decision on the "super Cub"; I and many others have learned to fly with this model. Most important, thanks for your service, and best of luck in your new hobby and all that comes your way!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
welchcp

All thank you for all the kind words and suggestions.  I took what i thought was a realistic approach to getting into this hobby.  I wanted to go about it in a gradual cost efective manner.  From all the replies i have gotten ive been reassured of that.  Thanks again for the information and i look forward to picking all of your brains on this topic.

Respectfully,

Chris
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hello, Thx for your service. I hope you are back home soon
I started this hobby almost a yr ago. Like you I was looking for books and so. I actually bought 2, one word USELESS.
RC Ken website, getting airborne is awesome. Everything is there.
The simulator is also a good idea. Get in a club and find an instructor.
Welcome to the addiction, once you are in there is no way out
Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 AM
bluffpolls

As others have said - keep up the good work and keep safe! Look out for my Aussie mates too!

As for your q's, I started with a sim and never had the luxury of a club so it can be done but having someone to help you is the ideal. You pick things up and stop mistakes before they cost you in cash or worst still you hurt yourself or others.

Also this site helped me a lot. You wont need a book which or mag which will alreadybe outdated by the time it hits the shelf.