Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

second plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM
jugbutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second plane

Please give me your thoughts on a Super Chipmunk for a second plane! I want to start building my next plane and was wondering if this would fit the ticket!!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: second plane

A chipmunk would be a handful as a second plane. Good choices for a secong plane would be (in no particular order):

Hangar 9 Pulse
Hangar 9 Saratoga
Goldberg Tiger
Hangar 9 Twist
Sig 4-star
The Wold Models Paulistinha

The Chipmunk could be used as a second plane if you had access to an instructor and a buddy box. If not using the instructor and buddy box, you're better off with one of the above planes.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, how could I forget about the Great Planes Big Sticks- they're great too!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
AltaTed

I'm looking at planes like that also. Who carries these? I'm searching like crazy from a long list of RC suppliers that seem to have mostly foamies.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM
dakoris73

you can go to http://www.towerhobbies.com and they have a great selection of good planes that would be great as a second plane. I would definitely second the choice of a big stik as a great second plane, as well as a good windy day plane as well. You'll hear alot of recommendations for the sig four stars, goldberg tiger II, and any of the sig kadet lines...... another choice to consider is the great planes Super Sport. On low rates, this plane can be flown nice and slow, but step up to high rates, and you've got a great aerobatic performer.

Just a thought..........
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
G.Barber

Any of the Hangar 9 planes can be found at: [link=http://horizonhobby.com]www.horizonhobby.com[/link]. They ahve a lot of awesome planes to choose from there as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
richardgerardi

My 2nd plane was the Hangar 9 Stick 40 size. Been flying it for almost 4 years and it is lots of fun and inexpensive.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
TruBlu02

I would reccomend the Great Planes Escapade as well. I bought it as a lazy day sport flyer but lately it is all I hve been flying! It is a great value from Tower Hobbies and a really n low rates it is a real easy plane to fly.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Sky Raider Mach II, LA Flyer, LA Racer, Super Stunts 40, and Super Sports 40S from World Models would all be terrific second planes. They are all available from:

http://www.airborne-models.com

Tower Hobbies has also picked up the new Thunder Tiger Tiger Sport 40L ARF:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXASPG&P=7

It's a very reasonably-priced low wing trainer and sport plane. I've always been very happy with Thunder Tiger ARFs, and I'm sure the Tiger Sport 40L will prove to be no exception.

Also available from Tower (in addition to the previously mentioned GP Super Sportster) are the GP Easy Sport 40, The GP Big Stik 40, the GP Escapade, the GP Cherokee, and the Phoenix Models Dolphin 40.

All of these planes, as well as planes mentioned further up this thread, would be a great next step after soloing on a high-wing trainer.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
cfircav8r

Another one rarely mentioned is the Sr Falcon. With the right setup it is a great second plane. It is not as snappy as some but is rock solid in the air. I never felt nervous taking it inverted on the deck and that says a lot for a plane with that much dihedral. Flown with a cheap .61 it will give great vertical performance and still slow down to crawl. If you have a good quality .45 it should perform about the same. I do also agree with the other recommendations, but I just loved my Sr. Falcon.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Mr. Canadian

I'll second the Twist. I have the 60 version with a ST 90 on it, that i used to get back into the hobby. With it's large wing it'll land slower than your trainer and with the 90 on it, it will take off in 10 ft and go vertical until you let off the power
Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 AM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

I second the pulse and the 4 Star was my first giant scale.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
DeferredDefect

Tiger 60 with an OS FS-90......
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

A chipmunk would be a handful as a second plane. Good choices for a secong plane would be (in no particular order):

Hangar 9 Pulse
Hangar 9 Saratoga
Goldberg Tiger
Hangar 9 Twist
Sig 4-star
The Wold Models Paulistinha

The Chipmunk could be used as a second plane if you had access to an instructor and a buddy box. If not using the instructor and buddy box, you're better off with one of the above planes.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, how could I forget about the Great Planes Big Sticks- they're great too!
Very good choices. I like the Super Sportster too, another one from Tower.