Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Tiger 60 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes Tiger 60 kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
_brad_
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Tiger 60 kit

Hi All,

Iam having an issue with a Great Planes Tiger 60 kit. I looked in the kit building forum and could not find anything on the Tiger 60, so if someone knows if this forum exists, please let me know.

I am about to join the wing halves and on page 15 step number 18 it says to glue the DIHEDRALBRACES to the spars. Problem is that I cannot find the DIHEDRALBRACES. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find these braces?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Brad
Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Tiger 60 kit

According to the manual that I just looked at, the dihedral braces are 1/8"ply, 1.5 x 3.5 inches. They should be there, or you can fabricate them out of spare ply.

If you havn't figured this out yet (not intended as sarcasm, just pointing this out to you) often, they include parts that are die or laser cut inside another part. You may find it there. It looks to me to be a rectangular piece of 1/8" birch ply. As I said, if you can't find it, you should have some spare ply from the main fuselage break-off ply to just make one.

CGr.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
_brad_

CGR, thanks for the input.  My only concern about making my own is getting the dihedral right.  I guess I can glue it on and once it is dried, sand it to the dihedral that is currently there.

I have noticed before that some pieces come embedded in other pieces.  My worry here is that this would make the second item missing from this kit.  Some of the firewall was missing.  I did call Great Planes about the missing firewall piece and they sent one to me really quickly and free of charge - it was a great experience and makes me want to buy more Great Plane kits.

Thanks again for the tips - really helpful.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
CGRetired

My second plane was a Tiger 60... so I am both familiar with it AND, I loved that plane. Great choice. Since it was my second plane, it took one heck of a beating because of my inexperience. But, it taught me a lot and made me a much better pilot. It was big enough to be very visible and I could see the plane's reaction to my input. Very nice plane.

In fact, my instructor, an avid Pattern pilot, said that the plane was good enough to start learning the Sportsman level Pattern sequences, which I did.. and it proved to be a great performer, yet was forgiving enough to be a second plane.

Yep, a great choice.

CGr.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
_brad_

It is actually my second plane as well.  I built a PT-40 as my first plane and it is still flying.
I am just frustrated at how long it is taking to build.  With 2 very young kids, time is most certainly scarce.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Matt14x

Don't use dihedral. Mine flys great without it.

Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 AM
CGRetired

Since it's his "second" plane, dihedral is probably a good idea. Removing dihedral for a Tiger 60 requires changing the spar which is probably not a good idea for a builder on his first low-wing kit.

CGr.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: _brad_

It is actually my second plane as well. I built a PT-40 as my first plane and it is still flying.
I am just frustrated at how long it is taking to build. With 2 very young kids, time is most certainly scarce.
Well, Brad, be patient. The end result will be well worth it once you get that Tiger airborne. Mine was a blast to fly. Actually, it's still around after all these years. I retired it then someone wanted it, so I sold it to him, and he is still flying it, in spite of the way I beat it up, fixed it, then beat it up more.. It taught me a lot... It's a keeper.

CGr.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Brad, if you set the wing up in the jig that comes with the kit, you should be able to make the joiners and get the dehidral very close, if not right on.
I looked thru the manual and did not see any joiners in the plywood parts.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 AM
_brad_

I have set it up on the jig that come with the kit, so I think I will be able to make the joiners as CGR recommended.  Why don't they tell you in the manual that you have to make them yourself?  I spent 2 days trying to find them...

I am excited to see the end result of this plane.  I have the electronics, motor and everything else crying everyday for a plane to be ready...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
CGRetired

Well, Brad, they may not know that they are not included in the kit. They should be, though. You might want to send a note to Great Planes/Goldberg and let them know. They may not be able to do anything about the delivered kits other than make it known that they are missing.. somehow.. then make the parts available.

CGr.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Matt14x

You don't have to change the spar.
Your right about the beginner thing.

Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM
CGRetired

You don't? Ok. I have to look at the manual. Mine was an ARF so it had a straight aluminum tube as part of the main spar. The wing came in two parts. I don't know about the kit version. But, you obviously have done it so there ya go!!!

CGr.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

And, while I am not familiar with the Tiger, I have never run into a plane in which the dihedral has to be a precise amount. That brace that you are missing is simply a piece of plywood in the shape of a shallow "V" that lifts the wing tips off the table while the center joint of the wing is touching the table. You can probably put something under your wing tips while the center of the wing is touching the table and see exactly how much of a "V" you need, and that will depend on how much dihedral you like. Like one poster said, the wing can be flat if you like (no dihedral) to as mcuh as the tips being lifted a couple of inches. Build it the way you want it. Unless, of course, there is something in the Tiger 2 that dis-allows you to do that.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 AM
DaveB

Brad,

Check out page 11 in the instruction manual (Part 3914, Die Cut Sheet 6813). There is a drawing of the lite ply sheet that may help you find it, if it's in the box.

DaveB
Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

And, while I am not familiar with the Tiger, I have never run into a plane in which the dihedral has to be a precise amount. That brace that you are missing is simply a piece of plywood in the shape of a shallow ''V'' that lifts the wing tips off the table while the center joint of the wing is touching the table. You can probably put something under your wing tips while the center of the wing is touching the table and see exactly how much of a ''V'' you need, and that will depend on how much dihedral you like. Like one poster said, the wing can be flat if you like (no dihedral) to as mcuh as the tips being lifted a couple of inches. Build it the way you want it. Unless, of course, there is something in the Tiger 2 that dis-allows you to do that.

It's a template or table brace? I thought it was an internal glued in part because the manual says to glue it in.

CGr.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

CGR, you are correct. I didn't intend to infer that it was an external brace of any sort. I re-read my post and I don't get that idea from it, but for those who do, no, the dihedral brace is an internal plywood piece that determines the degree of dihedral in the finished wing. There HAS to be some kind of piece to join the two wing halves. You can't just have the two innermost ribs holding the wing halves together. So the kit manufacturers suggest a plywood joiner, usually 6 to 10 inches long, in the shape of a shallow "V" to help in securing the two wing halves together. They are normally placed span wise just behind the main spar. And with the wing tips raised to the degree you like with the center of the wing touching the table, it is possible to determine the angle needed in that brace. The brace to be glued INSIDE the wing. With epoxy. And epoxy liberally slathered on the innermost wing ribs. It ain't coming apart.[8D]
Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 AM
CGRetired

Ok. Got it. Sometimes the manuals are a bit short on descriptions, but Great Planes and Goldberg have always been pretty good.

CGr.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Tarasdad

Page 3 of the manual shows the trailing edge dihedral brace on the sheet with the Dihedral Center Support and Wing Pin Doubler. The others are listed as being in the bag of wood parts.

Since I'm about to order this kit myself it's good to read through threads like this and see what issues I may encounter.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
_brad_

I ended up making the braces the way CGR first suggested out of the side of the fuselage.
The braces have worked well (rectangular) and the dihedral has been kept in place due to the jigs that were used.

In a nut shell, I am happy with what I have done, the wing is not coming apart and I can move forward.  I will try to post a pic sometime soon.

Thanks once again to everyone for your help.  I am excited to get this plane in the air - eventually !!!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 AM
bikerbc

Brad  I reciently built the Tiger 60 and the only parts I could not find were the dihedral braces.. The one for the trailing edge was there but nothing for the centrer section...I just made my own..The angle is the same as the trailing edge so you can copy that and they are as wide as the spars are apart roughly..A wee bit less..I used 1/8 aircraft ply...Not lite ply...I made them as wide as I could to fit between the two ribbs....Ya I looked and looked and never did find them...You are gonna love this plane..It is a blast...I hope this helps..If you want I could probably make up some measurments for ya...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
_brad_

bikerbc, thanks so much for the help.  I made some braces and it is not glues and working correctly.  Appreciate the thoughts though and I cannot wait till it is done and flying.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
stevenmax50

Idont understand why you couldnt find a thread in the kit building forum. Istarted the thread and several RCU members added to it over time. It is maybe close to 100 pages long??? Lotsa stuff in there from several builders. It was still active last fall. and winter.

Found it.....good luck. Ilove flying my Tiger. Ileft all the diehedral in it and it is still very areobatic.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9308643/tm.htm
Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 AM
_brad_

thanks for the link, stevenmax50