Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for organizing a dedicated workbench/shop?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Any ideas for organizing a dedicated workbench/shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
vger105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas for organizing a dedicated workbench/shop?

Having returned to the hobby after 20 years, Iam trying to organize a workbench to build/work on my planes. Since I am not the neatest, most organized person in the world (or in my own house for that matter), Iam asking for some help. Has anyone found any products that are very useful for organizing a workbench? Does anyone have any pictures of their workbench? Any ideas for organizing? I'd **really appreciate**any help. Thank you.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any ideas for organizing a dedicated workbench/shop?

The only thing that I can suggest from personal experience is bins. I tend to throw stuff into bins, I have several bins, one for engine parts, one for radio stuff, one for building tools, etc. I want to get more organized, but I know that I am bad about putting things back to their home, but bins work for me.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
DaveB

You may want to consider a work bench that you can access from all sides. That is, not placing the bench against any walls. IMO, it's easier to build when you're able to access the plane from every side. That said, the bins, compartments, etc. would be located a short distance from the bench, either mounted on a wall or on a second bench. Just a thought.

DaveB
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DaveB

You may want to consider a work bench that you can access from all sides. That is, not placing the bench against any walls. IMO, it's easier to build when you're able to access the plane from every side. That said, the bins, compartments, etc. would be located a short distance from the bench, either mounted on a wall or on a second bench. Just a thought.

DaveB
I can vouch for that. Ihave a big, heavy workbench in a corner of my shop. I've found that with wings on my new .60 trainer won't sit on the bench.

We'll be relocating the shop in the basement soon and that will be a consideration.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Must echo DaveB...a build table or bench in the middle of the shop is top notch.
I built mine from a SOLID CORE wood door (Hollow core doors tend to sag/warp), some 2x4 framework, some pieces of ply to create shelves/cubbies for covering/wood/etc, and then somecastersso it's mobile.
Also, don't overlook wall space as airplane storage space. Some adjustable shelving/organizing systems available at Lowe's, Home Despot, $BIG_BOX_STORE will give you lots of ideas for hanging fuselages, storing wings, etc.

I've attached a few shots of mine for examples...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16012.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	1594222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98471.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	1594223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64417.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1594224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99461.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1594225  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Nice. I am going to Lowes this afternoon to hang the 4 models I have now.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

Nice. I am going to Lowes this afternoon to hang the 4 models I have now.
Lowe's happens to be where I got my stuff...if I recall, it was the Kitchenaid brand, but I could be mistaken. Either way, it's easy to find...Lowe's has a whole section for home organization, shelves, cabinets, etc...it's back with all that stuff.

The beauty of using those brackets and rails is how adjustable everything is. It can be moved left, right, up, down, wherever you need...so, as you can see above, big planes, small planes, short, fat, tall, skinny, wings, you name it.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Split bench. Half bolted to the wall, half on wheels so you can move it away for the wall and walk around the plane.

Ya I know, need to clean that bench tomorrow after I come back from flying.

Name:	Ec88328.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1594643  
Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
AltaTed

I kept loosing tools while in the middle ofprojects so I cut off the end of a 2X4 12" long and after taking inventory of all the bench tools I use, separating them into groups, I measured shank diameters and recorded how many holes of various sizes I needed to hold all the tools, I drilled holes in a neat pattern almost but not through the 2X4 completely.The result is shown in the pictures below and life is far easier now using this simple holder with my work area much less cluttered.

Name:	Fd92319.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	1595728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91440.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	1595729  
Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
foosball_movie

i just got a new shed. It's great with enough room for both planes and a lawnmower. But the best thing is the peg board. Makes it very easy to organize anything.

And an old knife holder (the one that knives slide into } works great for dremel tools. Just drill a couple dozen holes in the back and put all your dremel attachments in it. Use the knife slots for files, rulers, etc.