Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Questions about Monokote

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Questions about Monokote

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
vger105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Monokote

I'm almost done with the building part of my Great Planes J-3 and I've been dreading the next part; covering it with Monokote. I noticed Ultrakote mentioned on this forum.Is Ultrkote better than Monokote? Are there any tricks to covering curved parts, like the ends of the wings, stabilizers, etc.? Ihave an iron for applying Monokote andIhave the dial setabout halfway. Is that correct or is more heat better? It's been quite a while since I've built a model plane and the only thing about Monokote that comes back to me is it was difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
chocorrol

Default RE: Questions about Monokote

the best advise I can give you is, check this out:   http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=726
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

You'll find that it will be easier to stretch monocote around the complex curves of a cub if you use a heat gun to heat it. You'll want to wear a glove on the hand that does the pulling to protect it from the heat.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
cutaway

Little bits of Monokote trim seem to stay stuck down a lot better than Ultracoat trim bits, and the Monokote doesn't seem to go slack as fast.

I'm not looking to start a religious war here, just relating my own experiences and what I've observed on other people's planes.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: vger105

I'm almost done with the building part of my Great Planes J-3 and I've been dreading the next part; covering it with Monokote. I noticed Ultrakote mentioned on this forum. Is Ultrkote better than Monokote? Are there any tricks to covering curved parts, like the ends of the wings, stabilizers, etc.? I have an iron for applying Monokote and I have the dial set about halfway. Is that correct or is more heat better? It's been quite a while since I've built a model plane and the only thing about Monokote that comes back to me is it was difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
Do yourself a real favor. Have an airplane that looks real and really good for sometime, one that will make you proud.

Forget film and go with fabric. If you would search around for some different items:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB188&P=7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=WTX112

F&M Enterprises Poly Fiber.
9910 Airpark Drive
Granbury, Texas 76049-4474
Phone: (817)279-8045
E-Mail: [email protected]

FYI here are some fabric machines. The monokote bipe is almost 15 years old but not flown in the past 6. Sorry I did that.
The fabric and painted models are definitely miles ahead of money-kote. The Eindecker is some 4 years old and is the Poly Fibre RC stuff, much lighter than the 1:1 scale material. In my learned opinion fabric is the only way to go. All the clear-coated machines are done with 5-6 coats of clear butyrate dope including the Eindecker. Keeps all very tight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64336.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	1604460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79492.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1604461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68927.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1604462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90117.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1604463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42760.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1604464  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
mike109

G'day

I agree that cloth looks, lasts and is just generally better if more expensive. I cover all my larger models (particularly Kadet Seniors) with Solatex which is an iron cloth which is similar to the Coverite that was shown above. I am in Australia and we get Solatex here but I have not seen Coverite sold here.

The cloth materials need less heat to stick, are very easy to bend around compound curves and they do not need painting but you can paint if you wish.

My oldest Kadet Senior is now about 7 years old and still looks near new. I strongly recommend cloth for a model like your Cub.

An alternative which is cheap but does need to be doped and painted is Sig Koverall. It is also a cloth but it must be attached with dope or a heat sensitive adhesive and then needs to be doped to fill the weave and then painted. It can produce a really excellent result but needs a lot more work than the pre-painted iron on films.

Have fun.

Mike in Oz

Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
chaos79

Another option which I have considered before, Not sure if you are familiar with Aircraft Spruce... Its an actual aircraft parts supplier. But they have Ceconite (A type of fabric they cover real A/C with) in an "uncertified LITE Fabric" which is ment for ultralight aircraft and static display A/C... Might be a bit heavier then the model stuff, but this stuff stands up well if doped properly, and is pretty easy to work with... This stuff shrinks with heat as well... Also at Aircraft Spruce, you can find all sorts of stuff that could have applications in modeling... They even sell balsa wood! :-D Larger format balsa, but if your willing to cut it down to size yourself... Lots of things to be had from here!

The details on it are as follows...

Uncertified Light - 1.87 oz., lightweight fabric recommended for covering ultralight aircraft. Fabric will be unstamped. Not approved for certified aircraft.72" Wide. Sold by the yard.

CECONITE UNCERTIFIED LITE FABRIC(1.87 OZ)
72" Wide. Sold by the yard.
09-00921 $7.65 Add to cart for current price

I'm assuming with the weight, they are talking about 1.87 OZ per square yard...

The site is...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com

And the Ceconite page url is...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nitefabric.php

Details on their balsa wood...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/balsa.php

Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Don't let monokote scare you. Get the Tower Hobbies covering heat gun or equivalent, not the standard heat guns available at home improvement stores. Tack the edges down with the iron, preferrable around a corner where possible, then shrink the covering with the gun. Give yourself enough extra over the edges of contours and compound curves to grab it with your thumb and forefinger and pull while heating with the gun. Keep the gun close to the point of contact with the wood and you'll see and feel the covering stretch around, giving you a nice wrinkle free edge. Work slowly and carefully, not trying to do too much at once. It will get easier as you practice.

Once the edges are all tacked, it will be a breeze to use the heat gun to work over the surface (from outside to inside) working out any remaining loose areas.

Watch Kens videos. They really helped me.

Brad
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 AM
schnepel

The 1.87 oz for Ceconite refers to the weight per square yard of material.  That's not too bad.  if you choose a Ceconite fabric covering it would make the model look more accurate in scale, but it also involves more work than the films do.  It shrinks on the structure like the application of film, but with one exception, all the shrinking is done with an iron, not a heat gun.  In covering full size aircraft no one ever uses a heat gun because you can not accurately control the shrinkage as you can with an iron.  Use of the a heat gun on Ceconite will warp the structure by getting the fabric tighter in certain areas of the structure.  Use an iron! 

Ceconite requires the application of a cement to attach the fabric edges to the structure.  You could use dope, but it needs to dry before you start to shrink the fabric.  After shrinking then you need to dope the fabric to seal the weave to prepare the fabric for the color coats.  You could do the job with two coats, one clear and then one pigmented (colored)dope, but you will see the fabric weave quite well.  To be truthful, that's not how a real Cub or Champ looks, the finish does not show as much grain of fabric.  To get that look requires several coats of dope, but that adds weight, and that's the enemy here.  Suggestions is that if you want a fabric finished look, take a good look at the Coverite material at www. coverite.com. or some other similar fabric material made especially for model aircraft.

I'm sure that there are other modelers in Baiting Hollow, NY that know how to apply covering.  My suggestion is to ask for some first hand help if you need it.