Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Broken antenna base

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Broken antenna base

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
jmedley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken antenna base

Hi,
I posted this in the Futaba forum but did not get a reply.............
The plastic base swivel of the antenna on my 6EX Futaba transmitter has been broken. The transmitter is still working perfectly with black electrical tape holding the antenna in place. Is this something that I can repair myself by ordering a new antenna or should I send it in to Futaba for repair? I hate to give up the transmitter for an extended period of time. I use it at least two or three times a week.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Broken antenna base

I would suggest sending into Futaba.

While it is possible to repair it yourself, think about what might happen if
you broke one of the wires on the circuit board.

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM
CloudyIFR

If this is a 72Mhz radio then another great option is a smiley antenna. I've used these antenna's for years and have never, ever had an issue. The best price I've found is at Dymond Modelsport. It's on page 10 of their catalog:
http://rc-dymond.com/DymondCatalog.pdf

Their website is here:
http://www.rc-dymond.com/

Curtis
Montana
Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 AM
jmedley

It is a 2.4Mhz transmitter. It is working pretty good held in place with plastic electrical tape. I guess I'll just have to make do until I crash the plane and can get by without it. I can also use an older 4 channel transmitter that I have for a short period if I take time to link it to the receiver and reprogram the trims. Thanks anyway!

Jim
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Ken Erickson

Well, it is not your antenae that is broken. The actual antenae on the 6EX is a thin piece of wire inside the plastic thing that looks like an antenae. If it is the small piece just below the hinge, which swivels inside the "mound" formed by the case halves, you can you can have your LHS order a new plastic "antenea" or order it from the on-line retailer. Then it is just a matter of removing the screws from the back of the Tx, separating the halves, removing the plastic "antenae", replacing it with the new one and screwing the halves back together. If you broke the plastic of the back half of the Tx, you can get a new one and replace it easily. If the front half is broken, that is a heck of a job to replace. In that case, get a new one Tx or buy one at a swap meet, or just continue to use it with the tape holding the plastic together.

Or, if it is just the plastic "antenae", you can take it out and use some form of Plastic cement or glue to repair it and then put it back in.

If it is new enough to be in warranty, you can check with Futaba;s repair facility to see if such a repair is covered. I doubt it.

Ken Erickson
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
jmedley

Ken,

You have covered all of the bases. It is the plastic just above the hinge as you describe. I think I am going to try epoxy on the plastic and if necessary use a little more patience with the tape and keep on trucking.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Jim