Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hobbyzone Champ..........

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hobbyzone Champ..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:31 AM
BrianArtea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyzone Champ..........

I had a guy post on one of my posts and he said to put the SuperCubLP away for a littel bit and get the HobbyZone Champ, below is a link to it:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...f/HBZ4900.html

I watched a couple of youtube vids of guys flying these and they seem pretty good for beginners.

My question: is this a good beginner plane??? After that guys post no one said anything about it so I'm hoping it's a good beginner plane for teh money.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 AM
capt17

Default RE: Hobbyzone Champ..........

Brian, That plane is tiny. You need to get with a club. Here is a list of trainiers recommended by RCKen and lots of others on this board.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm

These planes are on the larger side. Much larger than what you are used to looking at. The larger frame makes it less prone to wind effects and easier to see and handle. Basically they are way more stable and easier to learn on but you need space (like a club, hint hint) and an instructor that you might find at a club. (hint hint.) :-)I wouldn't buy anything till I talked to the club and see if they have a club trainier for you to try. Plus the advice of a veteran goes a long way. I loved building so I buit a Midwest Aerostar 40 for my first plane when I was 14. I'm partial to it and love that plane but there are dozens of other ARF options that would be wonderful as well on this list. Just my 2 Cents! Take your time and have fun!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 AM
BrianArtea

Thank you!!!!!!!! I will definitely take that advice!!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Ditto what capt17 said. The Champ is a good plane for flying in a gym or on a COMPLETELYcalm day, but flying it outside is not a good idea for a complete begginner.It will be harder to see, less forgiving,and totally more difficult to fly in windthan yourSuper Cub LP.Even the Super Cub LP is pretty fast and responsive for a complete begginner, but in my opinion, it is one of the best "first planes" you can find. I have taught a lot of people to fly them, but the best way is to find a club or an experienced pilot to help youget some flights on a buddy box before you try flying on your own. Also a good idea to get some experienced help setting up and trimming your Super Cuband your next plane.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
BrianArtea

I appreciate teh help and knowledge!!!