Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

If you have the tools use them!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

If you have the tools use them!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default If you have the tools use them!

[&o]went to the field today, had two relaxing flights with my cub,then I was going to rip up the sky with the old tower trainer. The battery had recently been cycled so, I thought all was well. Imediatly after takeoff I had no control, I did get the throttle chopped and tried to get turned back for a landing, no such luck[:@] It was heading for a roadway so I hit down elevator and hoped for the best[X(] Ended up right beside the road in the ditch. A later investigation revealed that the battery was the culprit,bad part about it was that the plane was equipped with a volt watch on the outside of fuselage,all I had to do was check it before flying, the morel of the story is, dont take any thing for granted[&o]
Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If you have the tools use them!

It's sometimes amazing how we think we are being very careful and doing everything right, only to find that we have overlooked a very basic step and it costs an airframe. I hope the damage was minimal.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I hope the damage was minimal too. I think the Tower trainers are one of the very best out there.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Yeah, I hope the damage was minimal too. I think the Tower trainers are one of the very best out there.
The fuselage is toast up to the forward sction of the wing saddle, some leading edge damage on the wing. Iwas going to trash it till I went to the tower web site and seen that the trainer is not available in a kit form[&o] May have to rebuild.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice. I remember going to the field with my 4*60 and my trainer for an easy day of flying. I got to the field and ready to fire up the 4* and as always, I checked the battery level...oops nothing there. After checking, I discovered either I had left the switch in the ON position or accidently hit it when loading it up in the truck. I figure it was the first reason. Thanks to my instructor that never let me start an engine before checking the voltage in my battery.