Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Charging a kwik klip glow plug igniter

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Charging a kwik klip glow plug igniter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM
tburlington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging a kwik klip glow plug igniter

I am new to this hobby and a little stupid when it comes to the batteries. I recieved a kwik klip glow plug igniter with a charger from my uncle. It is used and I don't even know if the battery is any good but would like to see if it can hold a charge. How do I know when it is fully charged? Does the red light on the charger go out when it is complete? How doI test the battery? Can someone please help me.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Charging a kwik klip glow plug igniter

Good question !!!! In way to many years I've never even thought about the igniter, it just works. I usually just charge it for about 8 hours and throw it in the box. If it doesn't light my plug the next time I charge it again and if it doesn't work again I get a new battery for it.

I check mine with an old glow plug ( still good ) that I keep on my bench, if it glows good it should work. On a lot of the igniters the case gets dirty or corroded inside or the plug end gets messed up. A good cleaning will do wonders. Just charge yours then check it with a plug, if it glows it should be OK. ( be careful when putting the plug in the igniter, they can get really hot to touch.) If you can replace your battery, you can get them at Radio Shack. What ever you do DON'T go over about 1 1/2 Volt. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
tburlington

Thanks Red I will give it a shot.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The vast majority of the chargers that come with single cell ignitors are not peak detecting chargers and the red light does not go out when full. Most of the cell used in them are nicd of around 1200 to 1400 mahs and when new the normal procedure is to charge for about 14 to 16 hours and all uses after are usually done like Red mentioned for about eight hours or overnight.

I do prefer the single cell ignitors for normal uses with some exceptions. Like Red I use a glow plug to test the ignitors before going out but I keep it hanging near the charger in an old cylinder head and this avoids the burnt fingers syndrome.

I do Charge between every days use and normally charge every time the night before going out even if it has been several days with no uses.

By the way if you ignitor becomes pretty warm to the touch then it should be removed from the charger.

My preferance is the the competely sealed and non replaceable type. Many of the replaceable types with an aluminum case frequently suffer a continuity problem of the ground line through the threads and require constant cleaning of the threads. These are indeed less reliable than the sealed type that you simply toss out when the cell goes bad.

John
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The vast majority of the chargers that come with single cell ignitors are not peak detecting chargers and the red light does not go out when full. Most of the cell used in them are nicd of around 1200 to 1400 mahs and when new the normal procedure is to charge for about 14 to 16 hours and all uses after are usually done like Red mentioned for about eight hours or overnight.

I do prefer the single cell ignitors for normal uses with some exceptions. Like Red I use a glow plug to test the ignitors before going out but I keep it hanging near the charger in an old cylinder head and this avoids the burnt fingers syndrome.

I do Charge between every days use and normally charge every time the night before going out even if it has been several days with no uses.

By the way if you ignitor becomes pretty warm to the touch then it should be removed from the charger.

My preferance is the the competely sealed and non replaceable type. Many of the replaceable types with an aluminum case frequently suffer a continuity problem of the ground line through the threads and require constant cleaning of the threads. These are indeed less reliable than the sealed type that you simply toss out when the cell goes bad.

John
Thanks John, I have never noticed one that is sealed. I just shorted mine out a couple weeks ago in my pocket!! Car Keys and an Ignitor don't mix. It had a brand new battery too. It still works but doesn't seem to hold it's charge all that long. I probably cooked it, sure cooked my pants pocket!! My wall charger light never goes off as long as it's plugged in. My field charger will charge them up very well but it has no light at all for the igniter. New batteries for the ignitors at my LHS are only $5.00 but I buy the bigger 2400 at battery's Plus. The end of mine requires tightening every once in a while and now the end doesn't lock onto the glow plug very well. I will look for a sealed one like John mentioned.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By sealed I mean one that the battery cell is not readily replaceable and they do not have a big spring contactor, just like a cheap flashlight that is always corroding and becoming intermitant and do not have a split aluminum case with case threads that the ground circuit must traverse that also corrodes and/or gets oily. Heck I have even seen folks oil those threads on those things because they tend to thread together poorly. That is just like switching the light switch off! Unfortuanately there are a lot of those around. Any I acquire these days through a buyout I discard and won,t even give them away.

Another replaceable type that is a problem is the popular purple aluminum case double A sized one that is intended to use with alkalines. They frequently are sold for ten bucks and look to be very well made. The problem comes when after the first outing and use if you forget to remove the cell when you get home it will be dead for sure on the next outing and that gets to be a real pain in lost time and money.

My favorite and the ignitor I use the most and always keep on hand in both the long and the short is this one and I have found it to be at top of the reliabilty list bar none and I also avoid the metered types completely. Most of the meters will fail after just one drop to asphalt even though the ignitor will still work. The meters only real use is just a continuity meter anyway.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXME72&P=RF

Just one mans opinion

John
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM
tburlington

Thanks John thats a big help. I happen to have both typs and they are both working. When it is time to replace I will go with the sealed one.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM
stevenmax50

I hold my old ignitor with a needle nose when checking a battery.