Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
wittpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter Help!

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Parkzone Micro T-28 and am having a ball... I also have a Nitroplanes Skytrainer... I think that I am now addicted to the hobby and am really enjoying the Parkzone brand (at least from signs of the T-28 and what others say) My question is, I like the idea of hte BNF options, but don't want to shovel out big $$ on a Transmitter. Is a Dx5e a transmitter that will allow me to embrace current parkzone aircraft as well as airplanes in the near future? There is one online, new, I saw for roughly $55.

Thanks in advance for any encouragement!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter Help!

Yes, you can use that radio for other planes. However, you are going to have a problem with it because the radio does not have a memory to store the settings for each plane. This would mean that you will have to set up each plane every time you want to fly it. So it you switch between 2 planes you will be trimming it out as if it's a new plane each time. If you are going to buy a radio get one that will support multiple planes.

Ken
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

The DX5 is not a computer radio, meaning that it does not allow storage of seperate models. The DX6i, on the otherhand, has a 10 model memory and would better serve your purpose. You should be able to find the transmitter alone in the $150 range.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
opjose

It is well worth it to spend as much as you possible can ( or save ) for a good TX.

If you get the right one, you will not be buying another TX for a LONG time as it can handle all of your planes and needs.

I advise people to jump right up to 7+ channel 2.4gHz TX's as these typically have tons of features and the mixing alone will save you a bundle on things you do not have to purchase.

You may have "only" two planes now, but what happens when that turns to 10+?

Then in hindsite the purchase of a good TX will seem like a very good idea.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:38 PM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having a blast flying one plane with my new DX-5e, but I'm already eyeing a 7 channel Spektrum, and I imagine once Ifly my other two planes I'll find myself ordering the 7-channel one pretty quickly. Had I known what I know now, I would have started with the fancier one right away.

That being said, I've certainly already gotten my money's worth of enjoyment out of the 5e and the little $100 sailplane I've been flying.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 PM
wittpilot

Well Crap!!!!!! I was just about to buy it.... I mean I don't think I would mind binding it each time... but you guys are in the "know" and I guess I will look at the next one up.... Thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: wittpilot

Well Crap!!!!!! I was just about to buy it.... I mean I don't think I would mind binding it each time...

The point of the issue is a tx with no model storage such as that one will not store any of the model parameters of more than one model so every time you change airplanes end point settings, neutral settings and so on will all be lost.

So lets say it take ten test flights to get an airplane flying right and the first time you change to another all that will be lost and you get to be a test pilot yet agine with an airplane that may not fly very well.

Its started flame wars many times but agine I always advise all newbies to start with the best radio equipment they can afford period. The time to start learning the marvelous equipment we have avalible to us is right now! From the very start.

John
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: wittpilot

Well Crap!!!!!! I was just about to buy it.... I mean I don't think I would mind binding it each time... but you guys are in the ''know'' and I guess I will look at the next one up.... Thanks!
If you can swing it, think 7 channel and up.

Remember the TX you buy NOW will determine what you buy in the future.

If you buy a cheap TX, sooner or later you will want another RX or two for it.

Then you'll end up with an investment in RX's, so when you go to upgrade the TX you'll want something to match... and the viscous cycle goes round and round!

Better to eye the manufacturer you want to stick with now, ( e.g. Spektrum/JR, Futaba, Airtronics, etc. ) and get the BEST radio you can afford from the name brand vendor, then buy additional RX's as you need them.

You will NOT regret doing so, even if it means spending far more than you had anticipated on a TX.

Note that there are some very good and relatively inexpensive ( around $200.00 ) 2.4gHz 8 channel computer controlled name brand TX's out there that will serve all of your needs for the forseeable future.

As John and others point out, there are many reasons to invest the funds in a decent radio. After you purchase it you'll find out what a good investment it really was/is.