Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to RC

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to RC

Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
RShady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC

Greetings everyone.
OK first off I am completely new to all this. I went to my local AMA meeting and met some nice guys. I had to run so I couldn’t stay. Anyway They are having a competition on building a plane.I want to join in. I found some patterns to make a plane from balsa, the biggest problem, I don’t know how to Wire in servos or any of the controls. Is there any place I can look to get information on how to do this? Also I would like to know what to look for in servos to buy, as well as in a transmitter receiver.Thanks I know I’m asking a lot.

Thanks again
Ryan
PS:Yes I know I am jumping in to this full force. It’s a bad habit of mine but it comes out with some fun experiences.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to RC

Welcome to the hobby.

First of all, there are a lot of good choices for radio systems, and, most are cross-compatible with servos.

Servos plug directly into the receiver so there is no "wiring" necessary. You simply put the servo according to the plans, then run the wire harness to the receiver, plug it in, and off you go.

If you want recommendations for a good radio system, well, you will get more than you bargained for here.

I can personally recommend Airtronics, the RDS8000 system is great. Also, the full-range Spektrums are great too... the DX6i or DX7 systems are affordable and are very good systems. I am not personally familiar with the Hitec or Futaba systems, but they are very well liked by those that own them. Spektrum and JR are very similar so you could consider them as one system when considering what to buy.

As far as servos to buy is concerned, well, if you go to Tower Hobbies at www.towerhobbies.com and search on servos, you will find more than you bargained for. For basic systems, meaning anything that anyone from beginner to intermediate flyers, the Airtronics, Futaba, and Hitec basic servos, that cost about $10 each, should do just fine. You don't need anything really elaborate to fly any of the levels mentinoed.

Also, Minnflyer and RCKen together put together an outstanding tutorial that is geared to the beginner. That can be found at www.gettingairborne.com

Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

CGr.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ryan,
Hey there!!! It was good to see you at the meeting. Sorry that you had to leave early. Hope you can make it out to the field this weekend.

For some basics try www.getttingairborne.com 

Can't wait to get you in the air and get some airtime for you.

Ken
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And watch out for that guy Ken... He's from Oklahoma, you know.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Ryan,
Don't listen to anything that CGr, Ken or Minn tell you, I can personally say that if you listen to them it will cost you more money than you want to spend.
You will spend countless nights not sleeping while visions of airplanes dance in your head. Everytime you drive past a large field you think HMM that would be
a nice place to fly. And you have to add a whole new section to your e-mail list for flying buddys. Oh and the countless hours actually building and flying planes.

I asked a few questions one time and my post also started "new to this"

Actually this is a great place to find info if you are new to the hobby. good luck and you will definitely have great times to come.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
trab1925

Been in and out of this hobby for 10 years. And I'm only 20 years old. This is the only warning you're going to get, this hobby is addicting!

Just don't let it get you down. There will be times you will be frustrated, but don't give up!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Belinda
Banned

Hi, Ryan.I am Belinda from China.our company is mainly deal in Rc accessories.maybe you can visit our website:www.qiangshui168.com.cnwe have servos , battery chargers etc.Thanks!BelindaE-mail: [email protected]kype: belindaqsMSN: [email protected]
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Ryan,
Don't listen to anything that CGr, Ken or Minn tell you, I can personally say that if you listen to them it will cost you more money than you want to spend.
You will spend countless nights not sleeping while visions of airplanes dance in your head. Everytime you drive past a large field you think HMM that would be
a nice place to fly. And you have to add a whole new section to your e-mail list for flying buddys. Oh and the countless hours actually building and flying planes.

I asked a few questions one time and my post also started ''new to this''

Actually this is a great place to find info if you are new to the hobby. good luck and you will definitely have great times to come.
Hey Chris!

Where have you been? Hope all is ok.

Drop me a note when you have a moment.

Dick.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Oberst
Banned

Welcome! You'll love this hobby and be ready to make some friends, and I hope to see you at RCU more often. The Moderators and many others including myself will be here to help you if you run into any building problems, or if you just need someones opinion.

Stick tight to the "Ol-timers." (Ken would be one of them) He'll show you the ropes.

Pete