Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

am i ready?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

am i ready?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
flyinglogan14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i ready?

i have done buddy box 3 times with my plane and i can already land and take off so am i ready? this coming sunday there is a fun fly should i go fly or practice more because some say i am ready?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: am i ready?

You are getting there but not quite yet. You should learn to do some basic maneuvers and fly a full tank without problems doing more than orbits. Figure eights, and some practice emergency procedures such as dead-stick approaches.. but keep at it.

CGr.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
flyinglogan14

i can do rolls and loops but i could bring it along and maybe buddy box there
Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
capo915

The only way to tell if ur ready is to try some dead stick landings and some touch and go's. A true solo is the ability to handle ur plane in the most dire of circumstances. Its not how you handle things when everything is hunky dory. Its how u handle pressure when it is applied without your buddy box. Have ur instructor there when doing your first couple of dead sticks and touch and go's. After that cut the rope as they say!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're ready when the guy on the buddy box hasn't had to intervene/take it back at all for at least three flights.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're planning to buddy box at the fun fly event you might ought to check with the contest director to see if it's allowed then. Most events don't allow that unless there is a specific time allotted for it. In any event, congratulations on your developing flying skills. Learn as much as you can from your instructor (saves and recoveries are vital!) and enjoy the process.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 AM
CGRetired

I was somewhat afraid to solo, sort of tied to the buddy box. But, one day, I went out and no-one was there so I decided to practice taxi'ing around. Well, one thing led to another and the next thing I knew, I was airborne.. so what do I do next... so I flew it around as thought I was on the buddy box.. then said to myself.. well, it's time to see if I can do this or not. So, I lined it up carefully and greased the landing.

Little did I know that the club President drove in and was watching. I was do focused on flying that I didn't hear him coming in. He stood about 20 feet behind me and watched. After I landed it, he yelled "HEY.. YOU SOLO'ed!!! Congrats!!" Well, that was that and I was on my own.

What progressed after that was that I asked my instructor to buddy box with me for my next two planes for the first flight or two with them so I could learn the differences between the trainers and these more advanced planes. It didn't take me long, though, to get it so I could maiden my own without help.

CGr.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 AM
flyinglogan14

first off i have been doing flight sim for 3 years plus the last fun fly i went to before i had my own planes they had a trainer there and they let me buddy box anyways i am going to have one more buddy box this week and also the only time the buddy box guy had to take control was when his finger got sore from holding down the trainer button on the transmitter so i think im ready but im not an expert
Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I like to take students up about 4 mistakes high, roll inverted, kill the engine, put it in a spin, then give them control. I'll give them 4 or 5 seconds to gain control enough to dead stick in. Most just freak out and freeze the first time or two it happens cause I dont tell them its coming. This is after they have sorta soloed. We train for adverse conditions for a few flights cause new pilots tend to freeze when they loose control or get confused. Just be careful and dont get too fancy at the event and you should do fine.
Edwin
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
jetmech05

You're ready when your instructor says your ready....and you solo....what are you ready for????? to learn....thats when your education really begins
Good Luck....Do check with the CD of the fun fly before you fly with the buddy box
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I definately agree with Jetmech, My students are ready to solo when I say they are ready. It is not up for a public debate on an open forum or when a student tells me he is ready. The instructor and the instructor alone is the pilot in command.

Coming from a long history in flight instruction both full scale and model aviation (not neccessarily just RC either) That is the way it ultimately has to be. If the student feels the need to change mentors (instructors) then that he is welcome to do so with no malice.

In reality the most common situation is the students often feel they are not ready when we go for it and sometimes have to be coaxed a bit. This is the reason I never tell then when it will happen and it is always a suprise. There performane is always better this way.

John