Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The weather

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The weather

Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The weather

The weather for the past two days has been absolutely delightul. No wind and comfortable temps. I had to work, but for those RC'ers that did not work, man, what a day for flying. It was great.

That all started to go south last evening with the approach of Hurricane Irene.

It is now very humid, and it's on-and-off rain with a little wind. But, tonite, well, if I had not yet battened down the hatches, it will be an interesting night. I can imagine that it's been and continues to be rather exciting for our brothers in eastern North Carolina and eastern Virginia.

Hopefully, we won't get the predicted hight wind and high water levels here along the coast. But, time will tell.

CGr.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95005.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1653981  
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The weather

Hopefully everything goes ok for yall. I have been through a few hurricanes myself but the worst was going without electricity for several days in this heat.

http://weather.yahoo.com/united-stat...ston-12791398/
Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM
CGRetired

Yeah, Gary, you folks in Texas get your share of tropical weather, that's for sure.

I'm not originally from NJ. I lived in Mississippi for 7 years and saw a couple come through there. I also lived in northern CA for 9 years and, although they didn't call them hurricanes there, they were called Gulf of Alaska storms, they were often equally as nasty. I also lived in Massachusetts while a few came up the coast and hit there. So, I'm no stranger to these things, but that doesn't mean that I like them any, that's for sure.

Now, in the past couple weeks, we had an earthquake now a hurricane.. and this winter was not at all pleasant.. so, what's next?

CGr
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Yeah, Gary, you folks in Texas get your share of tropical weather, that's for sure.

I'm not originally from NJ. I lived in Mississippi for 7 years and saw a couple come through there. I also lived in northern CA for 9 years and, although they didn't call them hurricanes there, they were called Gulf of Alaska storms, they were often equally as nasty. I also lived in Massachusetts while a few came up the coast and hit there. So, I'm no stranger to these things, but that doesn't mean that I like them any, that's for sure.

Now, in the past couple weeks, we had an earthquake now a hurricane.. and this winter was not at all pleasant.. so, what's next?

CGr
Well, my fingers are crossed and prayers are up for yall in the path of Irene.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Link119

Thanks for the support for the east cost.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Villa

In Wilson NC we did OK. Rain and high wind for about 12 hours. It stopped a few hours ago. A lot of places without power. I hope tp be flying again in a few days.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 PM
GaryHarris

I know what yall are going through. Prayers still up.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 AM
CGRetired

After action report;

Cape May County got hit pretty hard, a lot of flooding as predicted. Along the coast in Atlantic County, it wasn't as bad as predicted. The water level rose but not the predicted 10 + feet. We also didn't get as much rain along the coast as predicted. Atlantic City got 5.5 inches. Further west, well, they got the same amount of rain.. in fact, it's still raining over near Philadelphia. A lot of flooding near rivers, especially the Delaware River areas and tributaries.

The eye of the storm passed quite close to Atlantic City and is following pretty much along the coast. NYC is next then New England, but I think this is more of a rain maker than a wind maker.. winds were, t most, barely hurricane category 1 (74 +).

Thanks for your concern.

CGr.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Link119

Right now its just windy near philly. No rain!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 AM
GaryHarris

Yesterday here we tied an all time high of 109*F. For AZ and NV, that doesn't all that bad, but it's humid here.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something I noticed yesterday and last night, most of the web sites were slow, not much activity at all. I had almost no emails or PMs from friends on the east coast. My wife is from NY and she followed the storm, seems there was a lot of power out. The earth quake??? 5.9 in Calif. isn't even noticed. I moved here to Vegas thinking someday I could own beach front property.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 AM
CGRetired

Hey Gene.

Yeah, I lived in Ca for 9 years and went through a few shakers. But, considering they the last one they had here that was of that magnitude was before anyone here could remember, well, it was memorable.

CGr.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard

That's what my wife was telling me. She was telling me the difference between the type of soil between there and Calif. too. I guess there is now a crack in the Washington Monument?? It was a topic of conversation in my wood club the other day. We have a lot of East Coasters here. To those of us from Calif. if over passes and bridges don't fall down and windows breaking it's just a little shaker.
We have been watching the news this morning and they were showing video of West Port, my wife has a lot of family there. She was pointing out different roads to me that you can no longer see the road. Looks like it depends on where you are as to how hard you got hit.
I still haven't heard from friends in NY and Westchester. According to the news a lot of the areas are still without power.
I'll stick with the heat and flash flooding during monsoon season. I can't handle humidity either.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
GaryHarris

I was born and raised in L.A. and was in a 6.9er in 1970 I think it was. 35 years here in Houston and 4 Hurricanes. I'm moving to Wyoming.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I was born and raised in L.A. and was in a 6.9er in 1970 I think it was. 35 years here in Houston and 4 Hurricanes. I'm moving to Wyoming.
My father in law was sitting on the throne when that one hit, they had just moved here from NY, SURPRISE!!! I was just going to bed, worked the grave then, the bed moved before my butt hit the mattress.[&:] Anyway, that was a fun one. I tried to turn on my radio for a report but the house was rolling and I couldn't grab the knob to turn it on. A few years back we had some big ones, those weren't fun. We dispatched a number of our fire fighters to SF for those. Parts of the city did fall down and people died.
I'm still waiting to hear from firends on the east coast.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

12" Aircraft Tires? Might look funny on my 40 sized Funtana but slightly necessary at our field these days!

Name:	Qo39328.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1654471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82791.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1654472  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 PM
pmerritt

Quicker way to get your RCparts from CHINA!!!! Ifound three Chinese RC distributers in the bottom of these cracks! No long distance mail! Just drop a money order in the crack and your order will be hand delivered in minutes!

Name:	Nl28574.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	1654477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88335.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	1654478  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 PM
pmerritt

HASANYBODYSEENMYTRIBUTE36? I KNOWIWASTAXIINGOUTONTHEFIELDAMINUTEAGO!!!

Name:	Jh16078.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	1654480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77948.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	1654481  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

My father in law was sitting on the throne when that one hit, they had just moved here from NY, SURPRISE!!! I was just going to bed, worked the grave then, the bed moved before my butt hit the mattress.[&:] Anyway, that was a fun one. I tried to turn on my radio for a report but the house was rolling and I couldn't grab the knob to turn it on. A few years back we had some big ones, those weren't fun. We dispatched a number of our fire fighters to SF for those. Parts of the city did fall down and people died.
I'm still waiting to hear from firends on the east coast.
I messed up earlier when I said a 5.9 earthquake. It was 6.9.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Gray Beard

Gary, you said 6.9, 5.9 was the one that just happened in DC. Your Texas buddy here just has to show us there one little crack in the dirt. Bring him out here and show him a dry lake bed. Really big text too, must be posting it for all us old blind folks.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I moved to Fl from the caribbean; plenty of storms there, then here in 2003 we got hit with four hurricaines the same season, I was on the generator for 3 weeks.
So I know first hand what you guys up there are going thru. My thoughts are with you.
We were fortunate here that it missed us but we took down all the canopies at the flying field.
Now I want to hear reports of any damaged fields
Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the Hell! We saw a little shaker, then the remnants of Irene, and it blew my 10' square canopy apart as I left it up after my daughter's wedding just this weekend.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Gray Beard

I still haven't gotten any word from my friends on the east coast. Tomorrow I tink I will be using the phone. Hope there cell batteries are still charged.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Gray Beard

CG, I have been getting mail from friends on the east coast, it just seems to depend on where you are as to how hard you get hit. Some friends only got a bit of rain, one friend in Trenton got flooded.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We moved our summer's end club picnic up a day and Saturday was a delight.  Got in eight or nine flights with my Giant Super Sportster and Saratoga 40.

Yesterday we got pounded.  Power out for 21 hours and our gardens look like aliens with bad tempers did crop circles and then tested their death rays on our corn and tomatoes.  We had squash plants blow away!  Important thing is the house and us is OK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.