Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

exponential throw question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

exponential throw question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:14 PM
how to?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exponential throw question

Hello, I am here again with my dumb questions.

After having builded my first trainer and 4 other airplane (each of them more and more complicate)
I am now building my sixth kit, a laser arrow and for the first time I will use exponential throws because I readed plenty of trheats talking about that function. I can easily understand that for very fast airplanes like the arrow, reduced throw around the neutral gives a more confortable flight, but on my radio there is also the possibility to have the inverse function (I mean hig throw around the neutral and low at the end of the courseof the stick)

I don't see when this "reversed exponential" could be usefull

please explain me all the secret of exponential throw flight
Old 08-22-2003, 06:53 PM
rogwabbit

heli's use it in throttle management.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Montague

I've flown a plane with "backwards" expo a couple of times. (don't even ask me why I did it, just trust me that I did it, though I bet someone will guess). It's really not all that bad, and has some interesting effects when doing a lot of maneuvers that require moving multiple controls for a large deflection at the same time.

That said, it does make landing "exciting" and level flight can be a bit of a challenge, so I honestly don't know why anyone would do this.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:10 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Kirk, I know EXACTLY what you did for I've done it myself and almost crashed on take-off. We both put in our expo the wrong way so it was more sensative around neutral
Old 08-23-2003, 04:37 AM
BotleRocketWar

How about a big sluggish airplane? Where you need a bunch of throw to do things as simple as a turn, or a climb. Wouldn't it be easier just to move the stick a tiny bit instead of all the way out? Would make flying it much easier...

I think someone I used to fly with did that for his LT-40... It makes the airplane feel smaller and maybe even lighter.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Montague

Well, ok, what happened to me with the expo was that my old radio is a JR x-347. I just bought a new Polk Traker II radio a bit ago, and was moving planes from the JR to the Polk.

"Hmmm, this touchy combat plane uses 50% expo on ailerons and elevator, ok, dial in 50% on the Polk."

Well, as it happens (and I knew about) JR and Futaba work backwards from each other with Expo. In JR-speak 50% expo makes the center soft, in Futaba-speak it's -50%. Notice that little, itty bitty "-" out there in front. Well, Polk happens to follow the Futaba way, which I didn't notice in the instructions. It was a very exciting flight, let me tell you.

Using the expo to overcome a sluggish plane might work, yeah. I haven't seen it done though.

I did talk to someone this weekend who intentionally sets his combat planes with expo to make them sensitive around center. He feels it allows him to react faster, but hold turn radius more accurately. I can believe that.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

If you wanna try it without fear of crashing do this....

Use your dual rate switch to switch between expo and no expo. Set low rates and high rates to the same exact throw percentage but put expo on the high rates and no expo on the low rates and try it out.