Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Training with Parkflyer >

Training with Parkflyer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Training with Parkflyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training with Parkflyer

I recently interested a friend in R/C and we decided the best course of action would be for him to spend the winter on the Phoenix Simulator and in the spring I would buddy box train him with a parkflyer. This will be the end to my first year with skill on a few high wings and the escapade 40 sized. I was wondering what the best plane would be. As a high wing I was looking at the Apprentice or Alpha 450, the T-34 PTS or the Advance. Is there any airplane that would be better. I think I have the experience for any of these planes to instruct on. I am happy I can already begin to give back some of what the hobby has given me.
Thank you,
Jacob
Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
My Feedback: (209)

Default RE: Training with Parkflyer

If I were in your position, I would stay with the airplane you know.
Switching different types of planes when you are the instructor is not a good idea.
That is only my opinion, stick with what you have personally flown., before instructiing on another plane you have not. yet flown.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM

I don't have any experience with any prakfliers other than the UMX's, the closest would be the alpha 450 to my alpha 40
Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont consider the Apprentice or Alpha 450 park flyers. I've trained on both them, either will do nicely as a trainer. They are good in winds up to 10mph, above that, students have too much trouble flying and keeping it under control. An experienced pilot can do it easily, but not students. It would be good to have about 5 batteries to get good use out of the day.
Edwin
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Would they still be ok to fly in a park then? If not, what would be a better one. I belong to a field but it is too far for who I am training. Otherwise I would take him there.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM

I would say that depends on the park and the amount of space. Just my opinion, but I like some wide open space when I train. A soccar field size should do it. But it would be easy to go beyond that with those two planes. You would need to stay on top of the student to keep them close in. They tend to stray pretty far out quickly. We used to have a county park to fly in but because of one person, got us all banned for awhile. Then they let an electric only club fly there that lasted about a year. I dont see anyone flying there any more. It can be risky training with lots of park patrons wondering around.
I've not trained on a park flyer, but you hear of people saying they do it all the time. I just never see it at any of the clubs I've been to. I suppose if I were to guess, there is a parkzone (I think) thats a super cub with ailerons. I'm a firm believer that you should teach on a aileron capable plane from the beginning. I've picked up several students that started on toy planes and finally upgraded to more serious stable trainers and they absolutely loved it. Big difference. This all of course, is just my opinion.
Edwin
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM

This field is probably at least 3x2 soccer fields, plenty large plus, it was either this arrangement or he was going to learn to fly on his own at a park closer to his house. But thanks for the advice, i will look for a Parkzone Cub.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM

I would think that would work fine.
Edwin
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM

He liked the Alpaha 450, but I suggested the Icon A5, t-28 or Radian. Much better sized I think.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JH313 As a relitively new flyer I applaud you for becoming an instructor/mentor for your friend and possibly others. Its difficult at times to maintain talented valenteers to do so.

A very big part of instructing is not just the ability to fly the airplane but even more so is communication skills as is the ability to anaylize the manuvers being done. And I have always beleved that being an active instructor is one of the best ways to really learn how to fly and improves ones own performance all the way around.

Having said that though I feel that to begin instructing in a type of model that you are not familiar (park flyer) is a poor choice. If you have only flown forty sized glow ships like you indicated in your first post then to jump right into teaching with parkies may be a poor choice. The effect of this may hinder your success with your friend.

John

Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A good plane to look into is the new Sensei from Flyzone. I was extremely impressed with how well this plane flew. It's is VERY stable yet it will do a lot of maneuvers that a typical trainer won't. and it feels very similar to a 40-size glow plane. With a Buddy Box, it would be ideal

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1368
Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I wouldn't reccomend the Parkzone cub, they are a little too fast andresponsive for a begginner. The Hobbyzone Super Cub LP would be a better choice for flying in any area that is not bigger than a soccer field. But the Super Cub doesn't come with ailerons, the recieveris set up for them but you would have to add them yourself if you wanted them.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 AM

The alpha 450 would be closest to the alpha 40 I trained on.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM

I've done some instruction on a [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-lp-bnf-HBZ7380]Hobby Zone BNF Cub[/link] and found it to be a good trainer. It's small and slow enough to be flown in a park, and I was really impressed with how well it worked as a trainer. I think this one should be seriously considered.

Hogflyer
Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM

What about the new Cessna 150 Aerobat 250, he was looking at planes and liked this one.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM

hey this is JH313 friend out the alpha 450 , sensei ,T35 mentor, Apprentice 15e and the J-5 trainer wich one of them is best for my frist plane
Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 PM

One for Alpha 450.
Edwin
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The Apprentice and T-34 are not park flyers.  They need lots of room to fly in.  A park flyer is anything under 40" wingspan, and both of these are above 50".   A  T-28 parkzone can make a good plane to learn with off a buddy box. Not nearly as good as a high wing, but they do fly well and stable, it was the first plane I flew.

The Apprentice is a very stable plane to learn with, but you need room for it. 
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM

Well JH313 is going to buddy box train me
now its just a mater of haveing the ryt size plane
and the ryt size park
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 AM

What about the Cessna 150 Aerobat 250 or the minimag they both have a wingspad under 40. How good are they to train on
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: JM587

What about the Cessna 150 Aerobat 250 or the minimag they both have a wingspad under 40. How good are they to train on
The Cessna 150 would not make a good trainer - its designed for more experienced pilots and aerobatics. Also wingspan doesn't make a plane a park flyer. If that's the case, then my F-27Q Stryker would be 98 mph park flyer. If you go by the AMA definition, park flyers are electric powered, have a max level speed of 60 mph, and weigh 2lbs or less. Due to its flight characteristics I consider my 54" Hobby Shack School Boy a park flyer since its performance is slower and more docile than other park flyers I've seen. Its more about weight and speed than size. Powered gliders make good park flyers due their slower flight speed, and some older 1/2A planes (converted to electric power) such as the Airtronics/RCM Q-Tee are also good planes for the park setting.

The thing to look for in a plane that will be used as a trainer, especially in a more restrictive environment such as a park, is slower speed, gentle flight characteristics, and electric power (sound issue). You have to match the plane to the environment. And it doesn't necessarily have to be 4-channel - many of us learned to fly on 3-channels. Small trainers do great on rudder/elevator/throttle.

I've watched an Alpha 450 fly and it appears that it can be kept in a small area. Based on the specs, the Mini-Mag should also (probably most speed-400 class trainers). A lot comes down to the capability of the instructor to help keep it in a more confined area.

Hogflyer
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

What about the t-28 or the mini ultra stic
k do any of them make good trainer