Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang pts

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang pts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM
jsngnn22
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang pts

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a particular plane for a relative beginner. I taught myself to fly using phoenix simulator and a Hobbyzone Cub. I then moved to a trojan T28D, and eventually a great planes escapade with an OS .46 AX under the hood. I loved the escapade and felt like I got pretty good with it. (Never crashed it). However, about Feb of 2011 I did something stupid and sold everything airplane related I owned and decided I wanted to get into RC racing, so I went out and loaded up on SC stuff. Well here I am today and I still enjoy the racing but miss flying so bad, so I sprung a little bit to get back into it. I ordered the Hangar 9 P51 Mustang PTS and am waiting for it to get here. My question is should I have any problems with this plane after my nearly year long layoff from flying? Is there something else I should fly for a little bit first or will a little time on the simulator be enough to get the mustang in the air? Like i said the escapade was a blast to fly but after a year, Im just not sure how I'll handle it. Anybody out there with any expierience with this particular P51? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM
thedeeman

Default RE: Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang pts

I learned to fly on an H9 PTS Mustang (the original Marie yellow tail one). I love that plane so much that last week I actually rebuilt mine (crashed about 2 years ago by me while teaching someone else to fly - was trying to teach them about how not to stall on final approach and ended doing what I was trying to teach them what not to do LOL). Plane was split in half just behind the pilot area. It was a ton of little puzzle pieced sized wood that I pieced back together and reinforced. I'll be flying it later this week if the weather stays good. BTW, I'm going to post the rebuild in the "crash rebuild" section next week after I organize all the pictures.

So to answer your question, I think you should be fine especially if you felt comfortable with your flying before you stopped. I took the past year off from flying (60 - 100 size planes now) and I went out and flew for the first time in a year about 2 weeks ago. Other than being over cautious, no problems and got re-familiarized with the controls and flying easily. I do recommend with the PTS to get rid of the wing droops and either make the flaps functional or lock them in the up position. But don't fly it with them in the down position.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

eh, use the droops until you are comfortable, then take them off.  They help a lot with landings so you dont drop a wing tip, and the plane flies slower with them.  Once you got the groove back, take them off and have a blast. 

+1 on the flaps though, lock em up or make em work, but don't have them down while flying.  If the P-51 is anything like the T-34, unless going slow, the plane is very hard to fly with them down. Mine will try to roll left even with full right aileron when they are down, unless I am under 1/4 throttle. 
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
opjose

As Acdii mentioned DO NOT remove the droops until you are quite familiar with the plane.

The droops do not make the plane fly perceptably slower, but they do lower the stall speed and prevent wing tip stall, making it easier to land.

Harden the landing gear mounting area. Swap out the prop for an 11x6 and you are good to go.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
jsngnn22
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks for the advice. I cant wait to get it back in the air. As much as I loved the Alpha, the P51 just looks so much better. Hopefully it will be just like riding a bike. LOL.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
ES CONTROL

Go to a Hobby Shop that has a Simulator and brush up , for free.