Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Dont Have IT

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Dont Have IT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
AugerDawger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Dont Have IT

Bought the sim, bought and builtfrom the list of the recommended trainers, found a club/instructor....

3 rd lap around = lawn dart.

Ouch !!!!!That was a costly trial run.

Some dont have it what it takes. Me.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Live Wire

Default RE: I Dont Have IT

Where was your instructor, bad thing to happen on first flight[:@] Don't give up it takes time and a lot of practice. Can the plane be rebuilt or is it a total loss.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
AugerDawger

Instructor was standing next to me.

Powerplant, coms and assorted small parts seem salvedgeable.

Alot of time and soft costs. building that sucker
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That isn't your fault at all, that was crap for an instructor!!You were supposed to be hooked up to a buddy box. When I instruct I let my students know in advance not to worry, there is nothing they can do to crash the plane as long as I have them flying high enough to give me time to sve it. That isn't very high at all. To date I have never lost a trainer to a student while I had him on the box. All I have to do is release the trainer switch and I have complete control of the plane. It happens so fast there isn't any lag time.
As an instructor I have my own buddy box and cord. If the student wants to use his trainer instead of mine I just install my RX into his plane.
It's a no brainer!! If the instructor didn't have a buddy box to use then he isn't an instructor. We haven't used the hand off and pass the TX in years. Last time I did that I think I was wearing a bow tie and high button shoes.
No one has what it takes when they just begin, it's not a you problem. My students can't crash my plane, I won't let them!!!! I'm the person in charge!! Not the student!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

Bought the sim, bought and built from the list of the recommended trainers, found a club/instructor....

3 rd lap around = lawn dart.

Ouch !!!!! That was a costly trial run.

Some dont have it what it takes. Me.

You need to edit your post. Instead of reading "Some don't have what it takes. Me." it should read "Some don't have what it takes. My douche bag instructor!"
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Live Wire

I agree with GB, You never had a chance in the first place. I also instruct but make sure the student has a chance to learn to fly.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
AugerDawger

He is a good man..... not his fault.... mine...I knewthe option to do or not do without the buddy box.

The whole time I was headed out to the line I was telling myself ...I am not going to do this w/out the BB

but when it was at altitude and trimmed and he asked...Ijust took it.

It is not like RealFlight....which I am pretty proficient at flying in a realistic manner.

That plane was flat moving out.....I didnt expect the high wing trainer to be so fast. I was pretty good till the downwind leg and the 15 mph increase instantly toward me.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
ATVAlliance

Just 2 seasons ago when I first started I could tell a big couple of differences between the SIM and the real thing.

1.  No nerves when flying on the SIM.  Only a "reset button" away from starting over again. 

2.  SIM flight seems a lot more slow than the real deal.

Combine the 2 it makes it pretty intimidating to fly.  Add to that the other flyers that are standing around watching you...made me even more nervous.  My thumbs literally shook for the first couple of months.  Even after I had my first solo.

Now, after 2 complete seasons under my belt, I am flying much more confidently and the nervous thumbs have gone away.  I dont even own a trainer any longer and flying almost everything in my hangar these days.  Small electrics up to a gas cub!  Even flying CP helis too!

Since you declined the buddy box.  I'll go ahead and agree with you that it was your fault.  Thing is to not get discouraged and get it fixed and back at it.  Just like riding a horse.  Dont quit after the first time you fall off or you will never get back on.

goodluck
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Get yourself a buddy box and an instructor used to teaching with a buddy box. The instructor should be able to save your model from all your worst efforts UNTIL you start on take offs and landings. Even then he should save your plane most times.

30 years instructing.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

Since you declined the buddy box. I'll go ahead and agree with you that it was your fault. Thing is to not get discouraged and get it fixed and back at it. Just like riding a horse. Dont quit after the first time you fall off or you will never get back on.

goodluck
Didnt really "decline" the Buddy Box...it just never was brought out as an option.

I actually was saying to myself..."When is the Buddy Box coming in to play".....but i knew better to fly without and guess got caught up in the excitement of seeing something I made fly and really wanting to do it

Yeah I am super intimidated at this point no doubt.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Just wondering, what plane was it?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
AugerDawger

Great Planes PT-60 kit
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

You know Dawg, I'm still going to blame your instructor NOT you.

You are new to this, you shouldn't have to bring up the use of a buddy box. That's his job and he gets an F.

The instructor should take every new pilot as knowing absolutely nothing until proven wrong. He set you up for failure.

Do not become discouraged because of this. Learn from it and move forward!

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First flight in a 15 mph wind?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

First flight in a 15 mph wind?

This time of the year you fly in 10-15 or dont fly was what I was told.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Do not become discouraged because of this. Learn from it and move forward!

Just my thoughts.
I appreciate this. I am going to look at another field and see what they have to offer.

It is a longer drive for me....but Icould never show my face at this other field again !

I will be at least a month or so out from having another plane completed.

More CA on those fingers
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh don't let a little crash make you feel embarrassed at the field. I guarantee that if you show up the club meeting and ask for a show of hands for people who have totaled out an airframe, 3/4 of them will admit to it. The first "walk of shame" is a rite of passage in this hobby and nothing to be embarrassed about. If I were you, I'd look around at the local classifieds (Craigslist is great as is RCU) and find another trainer, then get a DIFFERENT instructor who doesn't let the newbie make the critical decisions and go learn to fly. While you're learning, choose your second plane and be building it.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Oh don't let a little crash make you feel embarrassed at the field. I guarantee that if you show up the club meeting and ask for a show of hands for people who have totaled out an airframe,

Its not the crashing.

Its crashing within 5 minutes of the plane being in the airfor its and my first flightand the entire senior cadre of the club standing theredisapprovinglywondering *** I was doing flying while I stand there looking stupid with theRXin my hand.

A man must know where he falls within the order of things.

I want to build and am so far pretty good from the old cats initial air worthiness cirtique ofmy airframe at the field.Just wasnt looking tonecessarly start over within days of finishing and paying for the first one !!!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

I agree it was the instructors fault. Flying in the wind is something you need to learn but not on your first time up. The first time up the plane should be so slow you should be able to run faster than its going. Start with circles and then figure 8's. Dont be embarrased about wrecking. Almost everyone has wrecked and if you havnt you have not learned to push yourself and have fun flying.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Admiral052

I am suprised your instructor did that. LAst summer I began flying and he always brings up my plane and let me fly, never any danger of crashing. Then after a few flights we started landings, This was hard since the control has to be tight, I of course flipped the plane on the third landing and had to fix the tail. The benifit to this was I learned about repair the structure and recovering so I gained something from the crash. Most of the senior guys on the field were very encourging and I turned it into a joke. I still haven't soloed yet but I am fine with that since I want to get good skills set and be better when I finally solo.

Don't let it get you down and always take something from your mistakes, this will make you a better flyer and club member.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

Since you declined the buddy box. I'll go ahead and agree with you that it was your fault. Thing is to not get discouraged and get it fixed and back at it. Just like riding a horse. Dont quit after the first time you fall off or you will never get back on.

goodluck
Didnt really "decline" the Buddy Box...it just never was brought out as an option.

I actually was saying to myself..."When is the Buddy Box coming in to play".....but i knew better to fly without and guess got caught up in the excitement of seeing something I made fly and really wanting to do it

Yeah I am super intimidated at this point no doubt.

Sorry...I misunderstood you then.

Now that you know your mistake...just ask to be buddy boxed till you get used to flying the "real thing".

And as far as being too embarrassed to go back to the same club. Dont let that get to ya. Even experienced pilots drive them into the ground and everyone laughs it off. I take it as laughing together rather than "AT" someone elses misfortune.

I dont know the guys in your club...but Im sure they have seen much worse. And really...the only time to laugh at something like that is when its an experienced pilot dorking one in. Its to be expected with someone brand new.

Anyway...hang in there. You will be flying solo with great confidence soon!

Goodluck
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
kwblake

Hey Auger.  Terrible thing to have happen!  You have nothing to be ashamed about.  Your instructor should have had a BB.  You stated that you are good with the sim, then you will be good with the real thing.  Give it time.  Get another plane, and carry on.  This sport / hobby really is a blast.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a GWS slowstick or something foam. Built up airplanesare relatively hard to repair and damage easy.I started on a parkzonestryker, excellent trainer and tough as nails. A bottle of gorrila glue willkeep you up and running. Get some normal servos and a few sets of gears.

Personally I would never recommend a built upglow plane these days for a trainer.Its old school sure, but there are much more forgiving options from many different facets.

A GWS slowstick is not ailerons, but can be up and running less than $100 even if you upgrade to brushless.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
rhutson172

I agree with everyone here, your instructor should have never hand you the transmitter. His job on the first flight was to trim the plane and test its airworthyness then land and inspect the plane for any anomalies. The next flight is on a buddy box or no next flight...no options. As for being embarrassed, don't be...during my training, my wings decided to separate during flight turning the fuselage into a missile. My instructor nervously laughed as we walked out to retrieve the scraps while the peanut gallery made their comments about the spectacular impact. Upon inspection of the wings, turned out I didn't use enough epoxy to join them...lesson learned. New trainer and 1 month later, I'm back in training, solo'ed a couple of weeks later to the applause of the same peanut gallery. Hang in there and get back on the horse in front of the same crowd, just insist on the buddy box until you are completely comfortable with all phases of flight including the mandatory landing.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
AugerDawger

The seniors of the club viewed it not as the inevitable crash.................but a *** are you doing flying moment.  Many the type of Southern men I would work to someday gain the respect and wisdom of.

That plane was clipping along at a very quick pace in an out of control fashion and in a banked base leg turn the thought of the appropriate time and manner in which to hand off and say I am out of my lane with this ....was crossing my mind.

I really fly in a controlled, scale manner on the sim and bigscreen tv....nothing like the real thing in my 3 min of experience.

I have looked at every trainer option and really dont want an ARF.....the USA Balsa stik could work....but I like that 70 inch wing size.

Maybe another PT-60 and three more rolls of Solartek.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.